Subject: Re: bug#7787: 23.2; wrong meaning for mouse-2 while in search mode

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 20:16:09 +0300

>>> The test case is to double-click a word, `C-s' and then `mouse-2' to
>>> insert it.  With the patch, that's what happens.
>>
>> But only when mouse-yank-at-point is non-nil?
>
> Yes.
>
>> I still don't understand why allowing to yank by clicking anywhere in
>> the buffer should depend on mouse-yank-at-point?  It allows yanking at
>> point, but in isearch it yanks to the search string in the echo area.
>
> When doing isearch, for the user it looks like point is down there --
> that's where the input is apparently going, after all.  So giving the
> yank result to isearch instead of inserting it where the mouse pointer
> is is consistent and expected behaviour.

I have no preference about whether clicking on the buffer should yank
to the search string.  Maybe some users expect that it should exit Isearch?
But in any case I think it should not depend on mouse-yank-at-point.
So maybe we could just remove this condition altogether to allow
isearch yanking by clicking anywhere?

-    (if (and (window-minibuffer-p w)
-             (not (minibuffer-window-active-p w))) ; in echo area
         (isearch-yank-x-selection)