Subject: Re: bug#7787: 23.2; wrong meaning for mouse-2 while in search mode

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 18:32:48 +0300

>> Anyway, I see no reasonable way to explain why mouse-yank-at-point
>> would affect what currently is documented as:
>>
>>   Clicking ‘mouse-2’ in the echo area appends the current X
>>   selection to the search string (‘isearch-yank-x-selection’).
>
> I don't understand why?
>
> But since you're so dead set against this (for reasons I don't
> understand), what about introducing a new user option like
> `isearch-mouse-yank-append' or something?

I'm not against reusing an existing option, I just can't
connect the dots between the logic of mouse-yank-at-point
and yanking from anywhere in the buffer.  But if OP would confirm
that customizing mouse-yank-at-point is indeed what is expected
then maybe this would be fine to be able to close this request?
Otherwise, a new user option or even a new command would be fine.