Subject: Re: bug#7786: 23.2; Encoding of PostScript files

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 19:02:10 +0100

Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]> writes:

> When I open a PostScript file it's opened "(encoded by coding system
> undecided-unix)" – as the *Help* buffer explains after invocation of
> C-u x =.
>
> This is incorrect, because, as PRML, The PostScript® Language
> Reference manual, explains in a footnote near the end, on encodings:
>
> 	3. The ISOLatin1Encoding encoding vector deviates from the ISO
> 	8859-1 standard in one
> 	   respect: the character at position 140 is quoteleft,
> 	   whereas the ISO standard specifies
> 	   grave. A PostScript program needing to conform exactly to
> 	   the ISO standard should
> 	   create a modified encoding vector with this entry changed.

[...]

> IMO GNU Emacs should open a PostScript file in
> adobe-standard-encoding, except it sees in the file that the font(s)
> used is (are) re-encoded in ISOLatin1Encoding (which is *not* the same
> as ISO 8819-1), CE Encoding, or whatever.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately got no response at
the time.)

I'm not quite sure I understand the final paragraph there, but the
suggestion is that .ps files should be opened with
`adobe-standard-encoding' and not `iso-latin-1' if there's non-ASCII
characters in the file?  Anybody got any comments on that?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no