Subject: bug#7786: 23.2; Encoding of PostScript files

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 20:55:25 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Will the below do?

Looks good, but...

Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Am 13.10.2021 um 18:28 schrieb Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>:
>> 
>> Where is this from?
>
> I am quite sure that I took it from PLRM2, the PostScript Language
> Reference Manual, December 1990, page 604.

... I'm not sure whether that IBM document the Wikipedia page has
sourced the table for is authoritative.  There seems to be many versions
of the Adobe PostScript ISO-8859-1-alike code page.

Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]> writes:

> Could be we mix things. My encoding stands for the encoding vector of
> a PostScript font.

Hm...  I don't think that's what we need here -- we need the encoding of
text files, not fonts.

> Anyway would it help you to retrieve these files?
>
> stdenc.txt
> 	#  Name:             Adobe Standard Encoding to Unicode
> 	#  Unicode version:  2.0
> 	#  Table version:    0.2
> 	#  Date:             30 March 1999

That's the one we have in Emacs today as adobe-standard-encoding, but it
seems very odd.  I mean, both stdenc.txt itself, as well as our
interpretation of it, because stdenc.map leaves most 8-bit chars
undefined.

So I'm not sure what we should do here, if anything.  Is there some
Adobe printing expert we could reach out to?  :-)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no