Subject: bug#77851: AM_RUN_LOG not found due to ustar by default

From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2025 14:42:16 -0600

Hi Ross,

    I shall update to the final [autoconf] release 

Have you had a chance to try this? I would like to get to the bottom of
this so I can make the release.

    because intltool is already configured, being a tarball.  

Your intltool link does not seem to provide any tarball.

    [1] as per
    https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/tree/meta/recipes-devtools/intltool/intltool_0.51.0.bb

What command do I type (or button/link do I click) to get the code so I
can try to reproduce?  Git clone didn't work. I see no instructions. I
suppose it's obvious to most people, but sorry, I'm stymied.

$ git clone -q https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/tree/meta/recipes-devtools/intltool/intltool_0.51.0.bb
fatal: repository 'https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/tree/meta/recipes-devtools/intltool/intltool_0.51.0.bb/' not found

    I've never seen this behaviour with autotools upgrades before...

Presumably it's related to the ustar change being so "early" in
configure. AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE hasn't changed in such a way for many years.

Possibly adding
AC_REQUIRE([AM_RUN_LOG])dnl
(after the other AC_REQUIREs, as below) would work around the problem?
I didn't try since I can't reproduce. --thanks, karl.

--- a/m4/init.m4
+++ b/m4/init.m4
@@ -99,6 +99,7 @@ AC_SUBST([mkdir_p], ['$(MKDIR_P)'])
 AC_REQUIRE([AC_PROG_AWK])dnl
 AC_REQUIRE([AC_PROG_MAKE_SET])dnl
 AC_REQUIRE([AM_SET_LEADING_DOT])dnl
+AC_REQUIRE([AM_RUN_LOG])dnl
 _AM_IF_OPTION([tar-ustar], [_AM_PROG_TAR([ustar])],
   [_AM_IF_OPTION([tar-pax], [_AM_PROG_TAR([pax])],
     [_AM_IF_OPTION([tar-v7], [_AM_PROG_TAR([v7])],