Subject: Re: bug#7785: rgrep is broken on woe32

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 10:46:58 -0500

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Sam Steingold <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 5:24 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 18:49:54 -0500
>>> From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
>>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>>>
>>> so I have to modify process-environment too:
>>> after fixing exec-path:
>>
>> I suggest to fix PATH outside Emacs instead.  I wrote in bug#7793 why.
>
> is it safe to prepend gnuwin path before the system windows paths
> globally for all programs?
> my toolchain is not limited to the gnu world, I am afraid of breaking,
> e.g., ms visual studio...
>
> 1. "emacs -Q" started from bash shell:
> broken...
> 2. emacs started from cygwin bash shell, the only thing in .emacs:
> broken...
> 3. emacs started with the above .emacs from the desktop shortcut
> broken...
> 4. emacs started from desktop with my full huge .emacs but without PATH tweaking
> broken....
> 5. same as 4 but without setting find-program et al
> broken....
> 6. emacs started from desktop with my full huge .emacs with PATH
> tweaking without setting find-program et al:
> broken....
> 7. emacs -Q started from desktop:
> broken

8. emacs -Q started from desktop with gnuwin put as the first element
of PATH globally:

(getenv "PATH")
"c:\\gnu\\gnuwin32\\bin;C:\\WINDOWS\\system32;C:\\WINDOWS;C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\Wbem;C:\\gnu\\clisp-2.49;C:\\Program
Files\\TortoiseSVN\\bin;c:\\gnu\\cygwin\\bin;d:\\bin;C:\\Program Files
(x86)\\TortoiseHg\\;C:\\Program Files
(x86)\\Bazaar;C:\\gnu\\GnuTLS-2.10.1\\bin"

find . "(" -path "*/SCCS" -o -path "*/RCS"...-o -name "*.pyo" ")"
-prune -o  -type f "(" -iname "*" -o -iname ".*" ")" -print0 | xargs
-0 -e grep -i -nH "asdf"
xargs: grep: No such file or directory
./src/clisp/current/src/ChangeLog:29:	* modules/asdf/asdf.lisp: update
to upstream "2.011"
./src/clisp/current/src/ChangeLog:512:	bundle ASDF2 as a module
./src/clisp/current/src/ChangeLog:513:	* Makefile.devel (update-asdf):
new .PHONY target
./src/clisp/current/src/ChangeLog:515:	* modules/asdf: add (based on asdf 2.008)
./src/clisp/current/src/ChangeLog:516:	* makemake.in, unix/INSTALL:
mention asdf in the docs
./src/clisp/current/src/ChangeLog:590:	(require): use the above, now
one can hook asdf into clisp
grep: ./src/clisp/c: No such file or directory
find: write error: Invalid argument

sort of works, except these bugs in output:
1. "xargs: grep: No such file or directory"
2. "grep: ./src/clisp/c: No such file or directory"
3. "find: write error: Invalid argument"

9. same as above but without "-Q":
find . \( -path  -o -path \*/attic ...-o  -type f \( -iname
\*.\[cdfh\] -o -iname \*.lisp -o -iname \*.tst -o -iname \*.m4 -o
-iname \*.in -o -iname Makefile\* -o -iname \*.xml \) -print0 | xargs
-0 -e grep -i -nH asdf
find: paths must precede expression
Usage: find [-H] [-L] [-P] [path...] [expression]

-- 
Sam Steingold <http://sds.podval.org>