Subject: bug#7785: rgrep is broken on woe32

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 05:24:55 -0500

> Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 18:49:54 -0500
> From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> so I have to modify process-environment too:
> after fixing exec-path:

I suggest to fix PATH outside Emacs instead.  I wrote in bug#7793 why.

> \( -iname \*.el \) -print0 | xargs -0 -e grep -i -nH gnu.org
> find: paths must precede expression
> Usage: find [-H] [-L] [-P] [path...] [expression]
> 
> Grep finished (matches found) at Wed Jan 05 18:44:10
> ==========================================================
> 
> the error message is obviously from gnu find, but I don't see what is
> wrong with the command line.

Which find/xargs/grep are these -- Cygwin's or GnuWin32's?

Also, you said just a couple of messages ago, that rgrep did work for
you in "emacs -q".  So is the only difference between that and this
whatever you have on your .emacs?  Or am I missing something else?

There's something else I don't understand.  The style of shell quoting
you show, viz.

  find . \( -path  -o -path \*/attic -o -path \*/junk -o -path \*/SCCS
  -o -path \*/RCS -o -path \*/CVS -o -path \*/MCVS -o -path \*/.svn -o
  -path \*/.git -o -path \*/.hg -o -path \*/.bzr -o -path \*/_MTN -o

is different from what I see on my Windows box:

  find . "(" -path  -o -path "*/attic" -o -path "*/junk" -o -path "*/SCCS"
  -o -path "*/RCS" -o -path "*/CVS" -o -path "*/MCVS" -o -path "*/.svn" -o
  -path "*/.git" -o -path "*/.hg" -o -path "*/.bzr" -o -path "*/_MTN" -o

That is, Emacs is supposed to use double quotes on Windows, because
Windows programs (except Cygwin) don't understand quoting with a
backslash.  Do you see the former style of quoting in "emacs -Q" as
well?