Subject: bug#7785: rgrep is broken on woe32

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 23:19:48 +0200

> Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 15:28:48 -0500
> From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> 'c:' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.

This message comes from cmd.exe, the native Windows shell.  Since you
probably have a setup where the Cygwin Bash should have been called, I
suspect some snafu with setting up Emacs for Cygwin.  Can you try the
same with native Windows ports of find, xargs, and grep, and in
"emacs -Q"?

Also, what does this mean:

-*- mode: grep; default-directory: "d:/.../" -*-
                                    ^^^^^^^
Could it be that this is the culprit?

FWIW, I just tried that with Emacs 23.2.91, the latest pretest, and
with the trunk of Emacs 24 built a few days ago, and the same command
as you invoked works for me, except that the last argument is not
"d:/.../", but a valid directory.  But my Findutils are native Windows
programs, and the shell is the native Windows shell.