Subject: Re: bug#7785: bug#6784: bug#7785: rgrep is broken on woe32

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 20:07:06 +0200

> Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 00:13:09 +0200
> From: Laimonas Vėbra <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
> 
> As long as cmdproxy is meant to pass commands (and in principle; acting 
> as a proxy and dealing with various shells and with different their 
> behaviours, requirements) to the particular shell (cmd.exe), it's best 
> to fix this bug in a cmdproxy, because this bug is only the „problem“ of 
> the cmd.exe.

That's true, but quoting a file name with ".." can never do any
trouble to any reasonable shell, can it?  Even cmd.exe doesn't mind if
we quote a program file name with backslashes.

Parsing quotes and treating them correctly is a large portion of what
cmd.exe does when it processes a command line.  If we are going to
invest the non-trivial effort required for that, I'd rather we emulate
cmd.exe entirely in cmdproxy, because doing that would allow us to
resolve several other issues that are currently misfeatures or that
need kludgey workarounds.  If someone wants to bite the bullet and
submit patches for that, they will be most welcome (for the trunk).
But in order to fix this problem safely on the release branch that
will enter a feature freeze in 2 weeks or so, we cannot introduce
invasive changes like that.