Subject: bug#7785: closed (Re: bug#7785: rgrep is broken on woe32)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 11:26:02 +0000

Your bug report

#7785: rgrep is broken on woe32

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
7785: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7785
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#7785: rgrep is broken on woe32
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 06:32:58 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 02:05:27 +0100
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Sam Steingold <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> [snip]
> 
> > /usr/bin/find: invalid expression; I was expecting to find a ')'
> > somewhere but did not see one.
> >
> > Grep finished with no matches found at Tue Jan 04 18:42:28
> > =======================================
> >
> > when I paste the above command into a cygwin shell window, it works
> > just fine (finds what I need).
> > i.e., the () in the command are actually well balanced.
> 
> This looks like the string length restriction in cmdproxy.exe reported
> in
> 
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6674#74
> 
> It was patched, as indicated on the subsequent messages on that thread.

Indeed.  Sam, please use the latest pretest of Emacs 23.3, where this
problem should be fixed.

Closing the bug.

Subject: rgrep is broken on woe32
From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 18:47:40 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.2.3790)
 of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1
--with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/xpm/include

(custom-set-variables
 '(grep-find-use-xargs 'gnu)
 '(grep-use-null-device nil))

(rgrep "ff-" ".emacs" "d:/.../" nil)

=======================================
-*- mode: grep; default-directory: "d:/.../" -*-
Grep started at Tue Jan 04 18:42:28

c:/gnu/cygwin/bin/find . \( -path  -o -path \*/attic -o -path \*/junk
-o -path \*/SCCS -o -path \*/RCS -o -path \*/CVS -o -path \*/MCVS -o
-path \*/.svn -o -path \*/.git -o -path \*/.hg -o -path \*/.bzr -o
-path \*/_MTN -o -path \*/_darcs -o -path \*/\{arch\} \) -prune -o \(
-name .\#\* -o -name \*.bc -o -name \*.exe -o -name \*.cmxa -o -name
\*.cmx -o -name \*.cmo -o -name \*.cmi -o -name \*.cma -o -name
\*.spit -o -name \*.spot -o -name \*.omc -o -name \*.data -o -name
\*.old -o -name \*.tmp -o -name \*.annot -o -name \*.p -o -name \*.err
-o -name \*.o -o -name \*\~ -o -name \*.bin -o -name \*.bak -o -name
\*.obj -o -name \*.map -o -name \*.ico -o -name \*.pif -o -name \*.lnk
-o -name \*.a -o -name \*.ln -o -name \*.blg -o -name \*.bbl -o -name
\*.dll -o -name \*.drv -o -name \*.vxd -o -name \*.386 -o -name \*.elc
-o -name \*.lof -o -name \*.glo -o -name \*.idx -o -name \*.lot -o
-name \*.fmt -o -name \*.tfm -o -name \*.class -o -name \*.fas -o
-name \*.lib -o -name \*.mem -o -name \*.x86f -o -name \*.sparcf -o
-name \*.fasl -o -name \*.ufsl -o -name \*.fsl -o -name \*.dxl -o
-name \*.pfsl -o -name \*.dfsl -o -name \*.p64fsl -o -name \*.d64fsl
-o -name \*.dx64fsl -o -name \*.lo -o -name \*.la -o -name \*.gmo -o
-name \*.mo -o -name \*.toc -o -name \*.aux -o -name \*.cp -o -name
\*.fn -o -name \*.ky -o -name \*.pg -o -name \*.tp -o -name \*.vr -o
-name \*.cps -o -name \*.fns -o -name \*.kys -o -name \*.pgs -o -name
\*.tps -o -name \*.vrs -o -name \*.pyc -o -name \*.pyo \) -prune -o
-type f \( -iname .emacs \) -print0 | xargs -0 -e grep -i -nH ff-
/usr/bin/find: invalid expression; I was expecting to find a ')'
somewhere but did not see one.

Grep finished with no matches found at Tue Jan 04 18:42:28
=======================================

when I paste the above command into a cygwin shell window, it works
just fine (finds what I need).
i.e., the () in the command are actually well balanced.

-- 
Sam Steingold <http://sds.podval.org>