Subject: Re: bug#7785: bug#6784: bug#7785: rgrep is broken on woe32

From: Laimonas Vėbra <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 00:13:09 +0200

Chong Yidong wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii<[email-masked]>  writes:
>
>> The discussions in that bug report concluded that the program file
>> name after the pipe needs to be quoted, in order for it to work with
>> file names that use forward- and back-slashes alike.  I can solve that
>> problem for rgrep (and for other similar commands) by tweaking the
>> templates used by grep.el, so as to quote the %s after the pipe
>> character `|'.  Would that be an okay solution?
>
> I think this is an acceptable solution, and agree that changing cmdproxy
> to handle this intelligently sounds like a nightmare.

As long as cmdproxy is meant to pass commands (and in principle; acting 
as a proxy and dealing with various shells and with different their 
behaviours, requirements) to the particular shell (cmd.exe), it's best 
to fix this bug in a cmdproxy, because this bug is only the „problem“ of 
the cmd.exe.