Subject: 31.0.50; treesit-update-ranges: offset setting is ignored for local parsers

From: Roman Rudakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2025 21:05:13 +0200

Hello, I've noticed that when defining 'treesit-range-settings' using 
the 'treesit-range-rules helper function, such as:

(treesit-range-rules
  :embed 'markdown-inline
  :host 'clojure
  :offset '(1 . -1)
  :local t
  (clojure-ts--docstring-query '@capture))

The ':offset' setting doesn't have any effect.

After debugging the 'treesit-update-ranges' function, I noticed that 
it calls 'treesit--update-range-1', which in turn calls 
'treesit--update-ranges-local' if ':local t' is 
specified. 'treesit--update-ranges-local' does not accept offset as an 
argument, although it is mentioned in its documentation string:

> OFFSET is a cons of start and end offsets that are applied to the 
> range
> for the local parser.

This discrepancy between the documented behavior and the actual 
implementation of 'treesit--update-ranges-local' regarding the offset 
argument might be a bug.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin24.4.0, NS
 appkit-2575.50 Version 15.4 (Build 24E248)) of 2025-04-16 built on
 macbookpro.home
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2575
System Description:  macOS 15.4

Configured using:
 'configure --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules
 --enable-locallisppath=/opt/homebrew/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@31/31.0.50/share/info/emacs
 --prefix=/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@31/31.0.50
 --with-native-compilation=aot --with-xml2 --with-gnutls
 --without-compress-install --without-dbus --without-imagemagick
 --with-modules --with-rsvg --with-webp --without-pop --with-ns
 --disable-ns-self-contained 'CFLAGS=-O2 -DFD_SETSIZE=10000
 -DDARWIN_UNLIMITED_SELECT -I/opt/homebrew/opt/sqlite/include
 -I/opt/homebrew/opt/gcc/include 
 -I/opt/homebrew/opt/libgccjit/include'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/homebrew/opt/sqlite/lib -L/opt/homebrew/lib/gcc/14
 -I/opt/homebrew/opt/gcc/include 
 -I/opt/homebrew/opt/libgccjit/include''
Configured features:
ACL GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM ZLIB
Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  idle-highlight-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  hl-todo-mode: t
  flymake-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-column-faces-mode: t
  mu4e-modeline-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  org-roam-db-autosync-mode: t
  outline-minor-mode: t
  minions-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  apheleia-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  window-divider-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/rrudakov/.config/emacs/elpa/ef-themes-1.9.0/theme-loaddefs 
hides 
/Users/rrudakov/.config/emacs/elpa/modus-themes-4.6.0/theme-loaddefs
/Users/rrudakov/.config/emacs/elpa/magit-4.3.2/magit-autorevert hides 
/Users/rrudakov/.config/emacs/elpa/magit-section-4.3.2/magit-autorevert
/Users/rrudakov/.config/emacs/elpa/password-store-20231201.954/password-store 
hides /opt/homebrew/share/emacs/site-lisp/pass/password-store
/Users/rrudakov/.config/emacs/elpa/transient-0.8.7/transient hides 
/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@31/31.0.50/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/transient
/Users/rrudakov/.config/emacs/elpa/ef-themes-1.9.0/theme-loaddefs 
hides 
/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@31/31.0.50/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/theme-loaddefs

Features:
(shadow emacsbug re-builder descr-text tramp-cache time-stamp shortdoc
epa-file network-stream mailalias dabbrev pcmpl-unix pcmpl-gnu misc
cal-move magit-ediff ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff
ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util magit-extras view alert log4e gntp
dired-aux cl-print edebug debug backtrace help-fns radix-tree
emacs-everywhere vc-hg vc-svn bug-reference markdown-ts-mode
markdown-mode edit-indirect misearch multi-isearch apheleia 
apheleia-rcs
apheleia-dp apheleia-formatters apheleia-utils apheleia-log
apheleia-formatter-context face-remap magit-bookmark magit-submodule
magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push 
magit-pull
magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence
magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch
magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func magit-diff smerge-mode diff
git-commit log-edit pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert
magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor magit-mode
benchmark magit-git magit-base vc-git diff-mode track-changes qp sort
smiley gnus-cite mm-archive mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping
uni-confusable textsec-check clojure-ts-mode flymake-kondor 
clj-refactor
hydra lv inflections mc-hide-unmatched-lines-mode mc-mark-more 
sgml-mode
mc-cycle-cursors multiple-cursors-core rect paredit cider tramp-sh
cider-debug cider-browse-ns cider-mode cider-xref-backend cider-find
cider-completion cider-profile cider-inspector cider-eval cider-jar
arc-mode archive-mode cider-repl-history pulse cider-repl 
cider-resolve
cider-test cider-overlays cider-stacktrace cider-doc cider-browse-spec
cider-clojuredocs cider-eldoc cider-docstring cider-client 
cider-common
xref cider-completion-context cider-connection cider-popup
sesman-browser nrepl-client cider-util tramp trampver 
tramp-integration
tramp-message tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs sesman queue nrepl-dict
spinner parseedn parseclj-parser parseclj-lex parseclj-alist
clojure-mode align idle-highlight-mode cap-words superword subword
hideshow yasnippet ef-maris-dark-theme ef-themes cus-start hl-todo
checkdoc lisp-mnt flymake server github org-git ghub-graphql treepy
gsexp ghub url-http url-gw nsm url-auth google-translate-smooth-ui
google-translate-core-ui facemenu color popup google-translate-core
google-translate-backend use-package-ensure pdf-occur tablist
tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent
semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet pdf-isearch
let-alist pdf-misc pdf-tools pdf-view jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq
pdf-util pdf-macs image-mode exif ob-restclient restclient
mu4e-column-faces mu4e-icalendar gnus-icalendar icalendar mu4e 
mu4e-org
mu4e-notification notifications mu4e-main smtpmail mu4e-view
mu4e-mime-parts mu4e-headers mu4e-thread mu4e-actions mu4e-compose
mu4e-draft gnus-msg mu4e-search mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks mu4e-mark
mu4e-message flow-fill mu4e-contacts mu4e-update mu4e-folders
mu4e-context mu4e-query-items mu4e-server mu4e-modeline mu4e-vars
mu4e-helpers mu4e-config mu4e-window bookmark ido mu4e-obsolete
yaml-ts-mode dockerfile-ts-mode rust-ts-mode typescript-ts-mode js
c-ts-common imenu cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs vlf-setup vlf vlf-base vlf-tune
autoinsert rg files-x vc vc-dispatcher rg-info-hack rg-menu transient
edmacro kmacro rg-ibuffer rg-result wgrep-rg wgrep rg-history 
rg-header
ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs grep compile elec-pair
emacsql-sqlite-builtin org-roam-migrate org-roam-log org-roam-mode
org-roam-capture org-roam-id org-roam-node crm org-roam-db
org-roam-utils org-roam-compat org-roam org-capture emacsql-sqlite
emacsql emacsql-compiler magit-section cursor-sensor llama comp
comp-cstr dash async ob-async ob-plantuml ob-ditaa ob-clojure 
ob-haskell
ob-sqlite ob-shell shell ob-sql ob-python python project org-clock 
appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs org-duration comp-run comp-common flyspell
ispell oc-basic bibtex disp-table ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum
shr-tag-pre-highlight language-detection shr pixel-fill kinsoku 
url-file
svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader
gnus-util text-property-search mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr
ox-gfm ox-md ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt 
rng-util
rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex
ox-icalendar ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox org-attach 
org-agenda
org-element org-persist org-id org-element-ast inline avl-tree 
generator
org-refile org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-src sh-script smie treesit executable ob-comint org-pcomplete
pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities time-date
noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle
org-table org-keys oc org-loaddefs thingatpt find-func cal-menu 
calendar
cal-loaddefs ol org-fold org-fold-core org-compat org-macs format-spec
exec-path-from-shell minions compat repeat hippie-exp comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring advice saveplace minibuf-eldef savehist recentf
tree-widget cl-extra help-mode autorevert filenotify use-package-core
hl-line finder-inf add-node-modules-path-autoloads alert-autoloads
apheleia-autoloads easy-mmode auctex-autoloads tex-site
buttercup-autoloads clj-refactor-autoloads cider-autoloads
clojure-mode-autoloads clojure-ts-mode-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads
debbugs-autoloads dired-git-info-autoloads dired-subtree-autoloads
dired-hacks-utils-autoloads dtrt-indent-autoloads
edit-indirect-autoloads ef-themes-autoloads elfeed-autoloads
emacs-everywhere-autoloads emmet-mode-autoloads
exec-path-from-shell-autoloads expand-region-autoloads
flymake-kondor-autoloads flyspell-correct-autoloads ghub-autoloads
git-link-autoloads gitignore-templates-autoloads gntp-autoloads
google-c-style-autoloads google-translate-autoloads
groovy-mode-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads hl-todo-autoloads
hydra-autoloads idle-highlight-mode-autoloads inflections-autoloads
log4e-autoloads logview-autoloads datetime-autoloads extmap-autoloads
lua-mode-autoloads lv-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase
markdown-mode-autoloads minions-autoloads modus-themes-autoloads
mu4e-column-faces-autoloads multiple-cursors-autoloads
nginx-mode-autoloads nov-autoloads esxml-autoloads kv-autoloads
ob-async-autoloads async-autoloads ob-restclient-autoloads
org-roam-autoloads magit-section-autoloads llama-autoloads
emacsql-autoloads org-tree-slide-autoloads ox-jira-autoloads
ox-slack-autoloads ox-gfm-autoloads paredit-autoloads 
parseedn-autoloads
parseclj-autoloads password-store-otp-autoloads 
password-store-autoloads
pdf-tools-autoloads pip-requirements-autoloads pkgbuild-mode-autoloads
plantuml-mode-autoloads dash-autoloads popup-autoloads 
pyvenv-autoloads
queue-autoloads rainbow-mode-autoloads restclient-autoloads 
rg-autoloads
s-autoloads sesman-autoloads shr-tag-pre-highlight-autoloads
language-detection-autoloads sly-autoloads warnings spinner-autoloads
sql-indent-autoloads ssh-config-mode-autoloads rx tablist-autoloads
telega-autoloads transient-autoloads treepy-autoloads
vimrc-mode-autoloads visual-fill-column-autoloads vlf-autoloads
web-mode-autoloads wgrep-autoloads info with-editor-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads package browse-url xdg url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cus-edit pp cus-load icons wid-edit
cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar 
dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar 
rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock 
syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple 
cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew 
greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button 
loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget 
keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process tty-child-frames native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1254711 512110) (symbols 48 81955 84)
 (strings 32 417506 9240) (string-bytes 1 11844813)
 (vectors 16 309427) (vector-slots 8 3125768 209057)
 (floats 8 92057 1427) (intervals 56 44552 11081) (buffers 992 56))

-- 
Best regards, Roman