Subject: bug#77830: closed (Re: bug#77830: Gnome 46: some applications are not scaled correctly (gimp, vorta, vlc, freecad))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2025 16:36:04 +0000

Your bug report

#77830: Gnome 46: some applications are not scaled correctly (gimp, vorta, vlc, freecad)

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
77830: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=77830
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#77830: Gnome 46: some applications are not scaled correctly (gimp, vorta, vlc, freecad)
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Christophe Pisteur <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2025 22:12:32 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Christophe Pisteur <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Gnome 46 / Wayland with the Guix system (and linux kernel 6.13) and
> a 200% scaled display, some applications are not scaled correctly, e.g.
> gimp, vorta, vlc, freecad. 
> Default gnome desktop applications, as well as other non-gnome
> applications (libreoffice, icecat, etc.) are correctly scaled. 
>
> These applications (gimp, vorta, vlc, freecad) were correctly scaled on
> Gnome 44.
>
> The problem appeared after a guix pull from gnome 44 to gnome 46 but
> the problem can be reproduced from a fresh installation of guix system
> with the gnome 46 desktop. 

That has to do with a change in GNOME or GTK, that now does compute
things differently for Wayland. GTK 4 applications are immune to it, and
I think there are ways to make GTK 3 behave as well, as the latest Gimp 3
scales correctly for example.

So it's not a Guix issue but a GTK/GNOME thing that will be resolved by
each application in time.

Closing.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim

Subject: Gnome 46: some applications are not scaled correctly (gimp, vorta, vlc, freecad)
From: Christophe Pisteur <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2025 19:45:58 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Gnome 46 / Wayland with the Guix system (and linux kernel 6.13) and
a 200% scaled display, some applications are not scaled correctly, e.g.
gimp, vorta, vlc, freecad. 
Default gnome desktop applications, as well as other non-gnome
applications (libreoffice, icecat, etc.) are correctly scaled. 

These applications (gimp, vorta, vlc, freecad) were correctly scaled on
Gnome 44.

The problem appeared after a guix pull from gnome 44 to gnome 46 but
the problem can be reproduced from a fresh installation of guix system
with the gnome 46 desktop. 

I'll be happy to give you more details if necessary.

Christophe