Subject: Re: bug#77830: Gnome 46: some applications are not scaled correctly (gimp, vorta, vlc, freecad)

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2025 22:12:32 +0900

Hi,

Christophe Pisteur <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Gnome 46 / Wayland with the Guix system (and linux kernel 6.13) and
> a 200% scaled display, some applications are not scaled correctly, e.g.
> gimp, vorta, vlc, freecad. 
> Default gnome desktop applications, as well as other non-gnome
> applications (libreoffice, icecat, etc.) are correctly scaled. 
>
> These applications (gimp, vorta, vlc, freecad) were correctly scaled on
> Gnome 44.
>
> The problem appeared after a guix pull from gnome 44 to gnome 46 but
> the problem can be reproduced from a fresh installation of guix system
> with the gnome 46 desktop. 

That has to do with a change in GNOME or GTK, that now does compute
things differently for Wayland. GTK 4 applications are immune to it, and
I think there are ways to make GTK 3 behave as well, as the latest Gimp 3
scales correctly for example.

So it's not a Guix issue but a GTK/GNOME thing that will be resolved by
each application in time.

Closing.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim