Subject: Re: [bug#77827] Video playback still fails with 4fd529d

From: Julian Flake <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2025 21:32:34 +0200

Hi Ian,

thanks for your response + tests.

On Sat, Apr 19 2025, Ian Eure wrote:

> Yep, I pushed the patch even though it didn’t fully fix the 
> issue. Are
> you using non-free video drivers?

Yes, I think I do. This is what I get in my shell, when trying to 
playback some video:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
➜  ~ librewolf
libva info: VA-API version 1.22.0
libva info: Trying to open 
/run/current-system/profile/lib/dri/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
libva info: Trying to open 
/run/current-system/profile/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

> I am, and my symptoms don’t match
> what Jakob mentioned: video playback doesn’t work at all for me, 
> but
> Jakob said video playback works, but poorly.

Same here. Video playback doesn't work for me at all with hardware 
acceleration enabled (starting with 137, I think). Without hw 
acceleration (I disable it in the settings), playback works. 

> Hardware video decoding is an issue in Guix for *all* 
> Firefox-derived
> browsers, has been for some time[2], and I think the issue has 
> to be
> something with the underlying libraries on Guix, though I don’t 
> know
> what it is.  I don’t see these issues on Debian.  If anyone has 
> ideas
> or patches, I’d love to hear.

I did not change my setting (hw acceleration) during the 
transition from 136 to 137. Finally, I confirm that this is the 
state with 137 of another Firefox derivation as well.

best, nutcase