Subject: bug#77823: 31.0.50; M-j regression since commit 4c6b1712a4d

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2025 09:22:47 -0400

>> - It might make sense to extend this to related constructs and/or to
>>   merge it into `electric-pair-mode`.
>
> I originally planned to merge it with electric-pair, but electric-pair
> is something complex for this little feature (and also electric-pair
> uses characters, not strings), so I decided to make it standalone.

I understand it's a non-trivial change, but extending support for
multi-character delimiters would be nice.  This could cover things like
``...'' in LaTeX.

>>   By related constructs, I'm thinking of things like [OCaml's
>>   quotations](https://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/tutorial-camlp4/tutorial004.html)
>>   that take the form `<:FOO<...>>` or [OCaml's quoted
>>   strings](https://ocaml.org/manual/5.2/lex.html#quoted-string-id)
>>   that look like `{FOO|...|FOO}`.
>
> It looks outside the purpose of this minor mode, but I have nothing
> against implementing it, it can handle it.  Honestly, if that were the
> case, I don't know what name to give this mode.

`electric-multichar-pair-mode`?  🙂

        Stefan