Subject: Re: bug#7782: 24.0.50; 24.0.50: set-scroll-bar-mode missing under non-GUI environments

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:58:48 -0500

Tim Cross wrote:

> According to the documentation for scroll-bar-mode, the way to
> set/change scroll-bar settings from within elisp code is to use the
> set-scroll-bar-mode function. However, this function is only defined
> when run under graphic capable environments, such as X, but not in other
> environments such as the Linux console. 
>
> This means that if you don't want your elisp or .emacs to raise an
> error, you also need to wrap calls to this function inside something
> like (when display-graphic-p ...). This is not required for other
> display related functions that depend on an environment requiring
> support for graphics i.e. tool-bar-mode. 

It's not clear to me whether you mean --without-x builds or --with-x
builds started with -nw (or both), but in either case:

In a with-x build:
emacs -Q -nw

C-h f tool-bar-mode
 tool-bar-mode is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `tool-bar.el'.

C-h f set-scroll-bar-mode
 set-scroll-bar-mode is a compiled Lisp function in `scroll-bar.el'.

(tool-bar-mode 1)             ; no error

(set-scroll-bar-mode 'left)   ; no error

In a without-x build, neither tool-bar-mode nor set-scroll-bar-mode is
defined.

Thus, I see no inconsistency here and don't understand your request.