Subject: bug#7782: 24.0.50; 24.0.50: set-scroll-bar-mode missing under non-GUI environments

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 19:05:40 -0800

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> In a without-x build, neither tool-bar-mode nor set-scroll-bar-mode is
>>> defined.
>>
>> That's the problem.  I know Emacs has many such things already, but
>> I think these are all bugs: I think we should adopt a convention that
>> functions/variables should either be specific to one particular kind of
>> display, or be display-independent.  Since (set-)scroll-bar-mode is not
>> specific to one particular kind of display (it is shared by w32, X11,
>> and ns), it should exist independently from any particular display.
>
> I think that makes sense conceptually, but I think that people that do
> a --without-x build do so for a particular reason: They want to have as
> lean an Emacs as possible.  (Otherwise -- why bother?)
[snip]
> Does anybody have an opinion here?

How many kilobytes does not preloading it save?  It might be that the
savings are so small that the code simplification is more worthwhile.