Subject: Re: bug#7781: [PATCH] Fix ispell problem with hunspell and UTF-8 file

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 08:42:11 +0300

> Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 23:12:38 +0400
> From: Николай Сущенко <[email-masked]>
> 
> As soon as I can see, the hunspell team haven't fixed the bug in more 
> then 2 years. Maybe for them it is not a bug but a feature.

Hunspell bug resolution process could use some speedup.

> The problem is that hunspell reports byte-position instead of 
> char-position with multi-byte character input, while Emacs waits for 
> char-position. With the patch attached I propose to make conversation in 
> the ispell-parse-output function.

Sorry, no.  I tried that initially, but this work-around has problems
(don't remember the details, though).

It is much better to rebuild Hunspell with this bug fixed.  I can give
you a patch for that if you need it (I think there's a patch in the
bug database as well).  I fixed my hunspell long ago, and never looked
back.  Or ask your distribution's maintainers to release a fixed
hunspell distro.

Thanks.