Subject: ispell problem with hunspell and UTF-8 file (and other, related hunspell problems)

From: Richard Wordingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 21:42:30 +0000

Those who want to compile a bug fix in Hunspell for themselves can find
fixes (based on Hunspell 1.2.8 and Emacs V23) to spell check
word-separated Thai in UTF-8 from Emacs at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard.wordingham/thai/hunspell-1.2.8-jrw1.1.zip
- the byte v. character count problem was just one of those met and resolved. The full list is:

On Hunspell:

Bad UTF-8 char count in pipe mode - ID: 3178449
No Encoding of Word for Suggestions in Piped Mode
(https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3468022&group_id=143754&atid=756395)
Multidictionary guesses dictionary for suggestions
(https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3468039&group_id=143754&atid=756395)
Hunspell 1.2.8 Groups Thai TIS-620 Chars in Lower/Upper Case Pairs
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hunspell/+bug/910452) (fixed
in Release 1.2.14)

On the Thai dictionary:

th_TH Affix File Inadequate for Hunspell
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org-dictionaries/+bug/910447)

There is also a problem with the size of the window holding correction
in Thai (probably depending on the choice of font); the addition of
(fit-window-to-buffer) at the appropriate point in ispell.el (as in the
zip file) fixes that.

Richard.