Subject: bug#77803: [PATCH v2] Don't indent variable names to their declarator expression (bug#77803)

From: Konstantin Kharlamov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2025 08:23:43 +0300

On Sun, 2025-04-20 at 03:38 +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 20/04/2025 01:58, Konstantin Kharlamov wrote:
> 
> > > https://github.com/mooz/js2-mode/issues/1 is when it was added,
> > > then
> > > see
> > > other reports in the tracker about refining it and adding support
> > > for
> > > different cases.
> > 
> > Oooh… it seems to be a misunderstanding. The user wasn't asking to
> > indent every declaration to the declarator (as it was in ts-tsx-
> > mode
> > and as it seems now in jsx-mode). The user pointed out the
> > indentation
> > wasn't working at all, and showed "expected indentation", where
> > there
> > are 4 spaces used; however it is an accident that 4 spaces are
> > equal to
> > "var" + space.
> 
> There were no protests from the user, and as I said, you can search
> the 
> tracker for other requests for refining this indentation method.
> 
> Or see https://debbugs.gnu.org/8576, for when this feature was added
> to 
> js-mode.

I suspect there weren't protests because the declaration style may not
be frequently used among web devs. Add to that that most people never
bother reporting bugs for the problem they encounter; and then
additionally that web-devs specifically from my personal experience
frequently don't know/understand much beyond just web-devel
(particularly, the understanding that open-source project problem is
something you can report or maybe even fix — that frequently lacks even
among usual devs, but in web-devel field it's like multiplied) — I
think there's high chance the reason wrong "const" indentation wasn't
reported, is just because no one bothered.