Subject: bug#77797: 31.0.50; Visit an empty file on creating it

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2025 09:28:07 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2025 16:06:04 -0500
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> >> That's backwards: in Emacs, you type "C-x C-f NEWFILE RET", then edit
> >> it, then save it.  IOW, you don't create an empty file first, because
> >> that's not useful.
> >
> > It's useful in the case I noted above: yanking text into a buffer that
> > you want to save to a file, and in particular if you want the file to be
> > in a not-yet-existing subdirectory.  In that case, with `C-x C-f' when
> > you type `C-x C-s' you are queried (from `basic-save-buffer') and have
> > to confirm that the subdirectory should be created, while with
> > `make-empty-file' it already has been created.  Or have I overlooked an
> > option to suppress the confirmation query?
> 
> Maybe we should add an option to suppress the query?  Either as a
> defcustom or a prefix argument, or something.  Not sure which is best,
> because I actually prefer the query, myself.

Same here: I prefer the query because it many times saves me from
creating files with wrong names and/or in wrong directorties, due to
simple typos.