Subject: Re: bug#7779: Miserable widget completion for type 'directory on w32

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 01:04:15 +0200

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 00:56, Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> So S-ESC could be used with both default Emacs bindings and in Viper mode.
>
> Yes, I was proposing a change, but I think this should be discussed
> more.

OK, so we have a keybinding that you could use in Viper, and you want
to propose a change. Care to do that in emacs-devel? (I don't think it
will be accepted, but we'll be able to reach a consensus of what to do
with Viper, I hope).

> Oh, sorry I missed that one. So you want me to test this with the
> latest build?

Yes. *AND* provide a precise, step-by-step recipe, starting from
"emacs -Q" (with stock Emacs, not your patched version), and
explaining clearly what you do get and what do you expected to get.

>  (BTW I see problems with my w32 build on Windows 7
> 64-bit.

I don't see problems with stock Emacs on Windows 7 64-bit. If you're
able to reproduce these problems with the standard Emacs, could you
please file bug reports for them? (Again: with recipes and clear
explanations, which you often overlook.)

> Should we perhaps provide 64-bit binaries? Can we?)

It woud be nice, yes, but so far as I know, no one is working on
building a 64-bit Windows Emacs. It isn't trivial, it's not just a
matter of using a 64-bit compiler. But you are welcome to download,
for example, the Twilight Dragon Media 64-bit build of GCC
(http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/) and try it.

    Juanma