Subject: bug#7779: Miserable widget completion for type 'directory on w32

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 00:56:57 +0200

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 00:42, Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 00:31, Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> ESC is the only "control char" that I am using of those vi recognize
>> as its own. (The other are less important.)
>>
>> I suggest finding a key sequence in Emacs that does not use M (Alt).
>> TAB by itself seems to be the favorite on EmacsWiki. Maybe use two
>> fast TABs for it by default. And have C-RET as backup?
>
> Are you proposing changing the default binding? I don't think users
> used to the current binding should be penalized for the needs of
> Viper. If anything, an expert Viper user like you will surely know how
> to integrate a new keybinding into Viper. It is possible to bind
> shift-Esc to work from the input state?

I just tried these and they work (the states are called "vi" and
"insert" - my bad):

(define-key viper-vi-intercept-map [(shift escape)] (lambda ()
(interactive) (message "you pushed shift esc"))) ;; vi state
(define-key viper-insert-intercept-map [(shift escape)] (lambda ()
(interactive) (message "you pushed shift esc"))) ;; insert state

So S-ESC could be used with both default Emacs bindings and in Viper mode.

Yes, I was proposing a change, but I think this should be discussed
more. The main problem is that there are a lot of different
completions. (Something I tried to address experimentally in
tabkey2.el in nXhtml.)

> And, you still haven't answered the other question: do you still get
> case sensitive completion of directories?

Oh, sorry I missed that one. So you want me to test this with the
latest build? (BTW I see problems with my w32 build on Windows 7
64-bit. Should we perhaps provide 64-bit binaries? Can we?)