Subject: Re: [bug#77789] [PATCH] gnu: sssd: Update to 2.9.6.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2025 22:20:19 +0900

Hi Ian,

Ian Eure <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> I’ll push a bit later today, but this definitely isn’t either/or, if
> we have leverage to make consumers of Samba libs work better, that
> ought to get pursued.  I might be wrong, but I assume other packages
> which depend on Samba libs would need similar changes.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  We do have leverage at the level
of the samba package; we just need someone motivated to put that effort
:-).

We could change the workaround in samba that installs everything to /lib
to instead keep it the upstream-default way, and add an extra runpath
directive, something like '-Wl,rpath=#$output/lib/samba' to LDFLAGS
before building, as a second *workaround*.

A more proper fix would be fixing the build system itself so that it
correctly links things, and contributing it upstream.  This would take
care to have the produced ELF binaries correctly augmented with the
needed RUNPATHs, that our ld-wrapper script handles.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim