Subject: bug#77774: stipples as fill-column indicator

From: Johann Höchtl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2025 18:13:30 +0200

Am Mi., 23. Apr. 2025 um 03:48 Uhr schrieb Po Lu <[email-masked]>:

> Johann Höchtl <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> >  I don't think stipple bitmaps are automatically extended as you change
> >  the text scale.  Po Lu, is that supposed to work automagically
> >  somehow?
>
> No, they're not.  Stipples are not designed for displaying lines or bars
> after all, just repeating patterns that produce something of a dithering
> effect.
>
> I use indent-bars mode https://github.com/jdtsmith/indent-bars to a great
extend. Indent bars-mode uses stipples to render straight lines for ...
indent-bars.

This package manages to display straight lines irrespective of operating
system screen scale value or Emacs scale-mode value other than 0.

As long as indent-bars mode doesn't use other drawing primitives than what
(display-fill-column-indicator-mode) is using, I think the stipple
behaviour of (display-fill-column-indicator-mode) contains a bug.