Subject: Re: bug#77774: stipples as fill-column indicator

From: Johann Höchtl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2025 10:08:14 +0200

I do still believe it is a bug.

I changed the definition of to

(set-face-attribute 'fill-column-indicator nil :background nil 
:foreground "white" :stipple '(10 1 " \x0\x0\x0\x0\x0\x0"))

one blank representing a single set bit, followed by quite a few null 
string literals as I do not know what happens if I dynamically change 
font sizes. Does this influence the necessity to change the bitmap 
literal of a stipple?

Nonetheless, at Linux at scale level 0 a single line is shown, at some 
increases of the scale level  I see two or more lines, at higher scale 
levels just one again.

Also, display-line-numbers-mode influences the position of the stipples. 
Which IMHO shouldn't be the case.

On 4/13/25 12:41, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Johann Höchtl <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2025 09:20:41 +0200
>>
>> I did notice that when I dynamically increase the font width using text-scale-mode, the number of lines
>> increases even further. This may be in line with the comment I cited
>>
>>> the stipple width should be set to window-font-width
> Then maybe this is your problem, and you should solve it accordingly?