Subject: bug#7777: 24.0.50; incompatible change for `directory-abbrev-alist' not in NEWS

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 22:24:29 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 11:49:07 -0800
> Cc: 
> 
> In Emacs 22, the doc string of `directory-abbrev-alist' says this:
>  
> "*Every* FROM string should start with `^'."
>  
> Now it says this:
>  
> *Every* FROM string should start with "\\`".
>  
> That means that *Every* existing customization is broken (or at least
> contradicts the "should").

It isn't and it doesn't.  If there are no file names with embedded
newlines, both "^" and "\`" do the same.  The "should" is to remind
this issue to those who want their customizations DTRT with newlines
in file names; previously, they needed to figure that by themselves,
or learn it the hard way.

> This incompatible change should be mentioned in the NEWS.

There was no change, except in the doc string (and in the value
suggested during customization).  No code changes, and the default
value is still nil.

Can we close this bug, please?  (Ts-ts-ts, such a nice bug number.)