Subject: Re: bug#77762: [PATCH] web: Add JSON module.

From: Arun Isaac <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2025 05:21:16 +0100

Hi David,

> I mean, Guile doesn't *need* to include anything, but JSON is one of
> the most common serialization formats around. Most language
> implementations ship with a JSON library.  Guile already has a suite
> of web modules and so this fits right in with those.  Over the years
> I've noticed many users, especially new users, asking why Guile
> doesn't ship with JSON support. I don't think you should have to
> install an external library for something so common. In my own
> projects I prefer to just check a JSON module into the source tree so
> I don't have to add an additional dependency. guile-json is a good
> library with a bunch of bells and whistles, but I think most people
> just want basic read/write procedures and would be happy to take them
> for granted with their Guile installation.

Thanks for the explanation. That sounds reasonable to me. But, I am a
bit biased in favour of keeping guile small and portable. :-) Anyway,
I'll let the guile maintainers make a call here.

>> > API that can read/write JSON to/from a port using only Scheme data
>> > types that have read syntax (i.e. no hash tables like guile-json).
>>
>> guile-json does not use hash tables. guile-json uses association lists.
>> I believe the decision to use hash tables was reversed many years ago.
>
> Heh, shows how long it's been since I last used guile-json. Glad
> that's changed. :)

And, the reversal of that decision was thanks to your objection, as a
matter of fact! :-)

https://yhetil.org/guile-user/CAJ=[email-masked]/
https://yhetil.org/guile-user/CA+XASoVmEy1Rt7w=[email-masked]/

Cheers!
Arun