Subject: bug#77757: cannot update wine to 10.5

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2025 11:05:15 +0200

Hi Arne,

Thanks for including full logs.  Next time, please gzip -9 them for the 
mailing list¹.

I'm building [email-masked] but it won't finish before I have to leave so 
have some generic advice you might already know:

On 2025-04-12 0:07, "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" via Bug reports for GNU 
Guix wrote:
>     system-error "link" "~A" ("No such file or directory") (2)

These error ‘messages’ are so unfortunate.

>     phase `wrap-executable' failed after 0.0 seconds

At least we know the phase to blame…

>     In guix/build/utils.scm:
>        1430:8  3 (wrap-program "/gnu/store/m5haxj3nydmwrbphkkhiiwz1nn…" 
> . #)

…and it has only two ‘wrap-program’ calls, so is it possible that 
$out/bin/wine{,64}-preloader really is missing from 10.5?  Or has 
perhaps been moved?

wine64-preloader is completely absent from your log:
~ λ grep preloader /tmp/guix-wine64-10.5-build-failure.log
wine-10.5/loader/preloader.c
wine-10.5/loader/preloader_mac.c
gcc -c -o loader/preloader.o loader/preloader.c -Iloader -Iinclude 
-D__WINESRC__ -fno-builtin -DWINE_UNIX_LIB \
gcc -c -o loader/preloader_mac.o loader/preloader_mac.c -Iloader 
-Iinclude -D__WINESRC__ -DWINE_UNIX_LIB -fPIE -Wall \
gcc -o loader/wine-preloader loader/preloader.o loader/preloader_mac.o 
-nostartfiles -nodefaultlibs -static \
STRIPPROG="strip" tools/install-sh  loader/wine-preloader 
/gnu/store/m5haxj3nydmwrbphkkhiiwz1nnf0m2a5-wine-10.5/lib/wine32/wine/i386-unix/wine-preloader

And wine-preloader isn't being installed into /bin, or at least not 
verbosely.  Maybe we need to wrap the one in /lib now?

If wine64-preloader's been removed upstream, why, and maybe we can just 
drop it from the phase with no ill effect?

[1]: The official (i.e., arbitrarily set, by me :-) maximum size for 
messages is 4MiB, and I think that's *after* base64 encoding.  I'm 
notified when a message is too large and can still approve it, and tend 
to be quite lenient for bug-guix@.  But it's an extra delay for you.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent from a Web browser.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.