Subject: bug#7772: 24.0.50; Documentation Bug: set-scroll-bar-mode

From: Tim Cross <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 10:12:20 +1100

I think the documentation for set-scroll-bar-mode is lacking. i.e.

,----[ C-h f set-scroll-bar-mode RET ]
| set-scroll-bar-mode is a compiled Lisp function in `scroll-bar.el'.
| 
| (set-scroll-bar-mode VALUE)
| 
| Set `scroll-bar-mode' to VALUE and put the new value into effect.
| 
| [back]
`----

While this is accurate, it provides no additional explination or benefit..
At the very least, it should probably mention that value can be nil,
'left or 'right and what these different values mean.

,----[ C-h f set-scroll-bar-mode RET ]
| set-scroll-bar-mode is a compiled Lisp function in `scroll-bar.el'.
| 
| (set-scroll-bar-mode VALUE)
| 
| Specifies whether to have vertical scroll bars and where to place them.
|
| Possible values are nil (no scroll bars), `left' (scroll bars on left)
| and `right' (scroll bars on right).
|
| [back]
`----

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.22.0)
 of 2010-12-28 on puma
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10900000
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/usr/local''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_AU.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
e SPC u s e f u l <down> <home> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> w h e n SPC 
r u n SPC <end> <return> <return> I SPC t h i n k SPC 
I ' l l SPC l o g SPC a SPC b u g SPC r e p o r t SPC 
f o r SPC s e t - s c r o l l - b a r - m o d e , SPC 
<backspace> <backspace> . SPC I f SPC i t SPC i s SPC 
a SPC c o n s i s t e n t SPC m o d e SPC a n d SPC 
f o l l o w s SPC t h e SPC n o r m s SPC f o r SPC 
+ / 1 <backspace> - SPC 1 SPC o r SPC n i l SPC e t 
c , SPC i t SPC s h o u l d SPC j u s SPC s a y SPC 
t h a t . SPC <up> <up> <up> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<up> <return> <return> T i m <return> C-c C-c q q y 
M-x s e n d - b u g <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
e m a c s - b u g <tab> r e p <tab> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <tab> C-g C-g <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Sending...done
Are you sure you want to quit reading news? (y or n)  y
Saving file /home/tcross/.newsrc...
Wrote /home/tcross/.newsrc
Saving /home/tcross/.newsrc.eld...
Saving file /home/tcross/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/tcross/.newsrc.eld
Saving /home/tcross/.newsrc.eld...done
Making completion list...
Quit [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/nethack/nethack hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/nethack/nethack
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/nethack/slashem-tiles hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/nethack/slashem-tiles
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/nethack/nethack-keys hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/nethack/nethack-keys
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/nethack/nethack-api hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/nethack/nethack-api
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/nethack/nethack-keys-dvorak hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/nethack/nethack-keys-dvorak
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/nethack/nethack-tiles hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/nethack/nethack-tiles
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/nethack/nethack-compat hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/nethack/nethack-compat
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/nethack/nethack-cmd hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/nethack/nethack-cmd
/home/tcross/bzr/vm/custom/lisp/tapestry hides /home/tcross/git/emacspeak/trunk/lisp/tapestry
/home/tcross/.elisp/emacs24/cperl-mode hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/progmodes/cperl-mode
/usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp/emms/tq hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow emacsbug time-stamp canlock sha1 hex-util smiley
emacspeak-ansi-color ansi-color gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async
gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh nnfolder parse-time
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp
proto-stream starttls tls gnus-cache saveplace paren emacspeak-gnus
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view smime password-cache dig nnir
gnus-sum macroexp nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range emacspeak-message message
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
gnus-ems nnheader time cus-start tx-emms emms-lastfm emms-url
emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort emms-score emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time emms-lyrics emms-streams
emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple format-spec emms-info-mp3info emms-info later-do
emms-tag-editor emms-playlist-mode emms-source-playlist emms-source-file
emms-mark emms-setup emacspeak-emms emms emms-compat tx-utils boxquote
rect protocols services tld tx-mode-compile tx-fold tx-clojure
slime-repl slime apropos emacspeak-hideshow hideshow pp hyperspec
clojure-mode edmacro emacspeak-kmacro kmacro tx-mozlab javascript-mode
newcomment emacspeak-c cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs emacspeak-moz moz txutils tx-org
org-clock remember org-remember org-datetree emacspeak-org org
ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src
ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-complete pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-compat org-entities org-macs tc-timestamp tc-template
emacspeak-tempo tempo tc-keys tx-funcs tc-diary cal-china lunar solar
cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs diary-lib
diary-loaddefs emacspeak-calendar cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
tc-browse-url tc-abbrev tx-bmk-mgr bmk-mgr-w3m emacspeak-w3m w3m-form
emacspeak-m-player emacspeak-we w3m doc-view jka-compr image-mode
timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image
w3m-proc w3m-util emacspeak-bmk-mgr bmk-mgr emacspeak-outline foldout
noutline outline easy-mmode vm-autoloads vm-version vm-vars server
smtpmail sendmail mail-utils secrets notifications dbus xml generic-x
emacspeak-generic generic dired-x dired-aux emacspeak-dired
emacspeak-desktop desktop dired ls-lisp debian-el debian-el-loaddefs
w3m-load emms-auto dpkg-dev-el dpkg-dev-el-loaddefs develock
bbdb-autoloads emacspeak-setup emacspeak-aumix emacspeak-forms
forms-mode forms emacspeak-webspace gweb greader g-auth derived
emacspeak-webmarks emacspeak-xslt emacspeak-webutils browse-url gfeeds
g-utils json url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-util mailcap url-parse auth-source netrc
gnus-util url-vars mm-util mail-prsvr emacspeak-alsaplayer
emacspeak-amark emacspeak-replace emacspeak-advice shell comint ring
emacspeak-redefine emacspeak-personality byte-opt warnings bytecomp
byte-compile emacspeak emacspeak-widget emacspeak-view
emacspeak-facemenu emacspeak-fix-interactive emacspeak-buff-menu
g-cus-load cus-load regexp-opt emacspeak-sounds emacspeak-preamble
emacspeak-keymap emacspeak-speak time-date emacspeak-pronounce dtk-speak
flite-voices dtk-unicode descr-text help-mode easymenu dtk-interp
voice-setup dectalk-voices espeak-voices multispeech-voices
outloud-voices acss-structure emacspeak-load-path thingatpt wid-edit
advice help-fns advice-preload vc-git cl view tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Tim Cross
[email-masked]

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what they 
understand and those who do not understand what they manage.