Subject: Re: bug#77718: 31.0.50; completion styles substring and flex are broken

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2025 17:37:52 -0400

> Stefan, a related question: do you think it would be reasonable to split
> completion-table-with-quoting into two functions, separating the
> substitute-in-file-name and comint-quote-filename cases?  It seems to me
> that the comint-quote-filename case is way simpler than the
> substitute-in-file-name case, and it would be a lot easier to understand
> if the two cases were done separately, without the abstraction of
> requote and unquote functions.  I can do that if that seems reasonable.
> It would make fixing this issue a lot easier.

It's worth a try.  The system we have is the best I could come up with
back then but is hideous, so I'm interested in a simpler solution.

> (I don't think we need to maintain the same interface for
> completion-table-with-quoting - I see no usage in the 200 packages used
> at my site - I strongly suspect, given the complexity, that the only
> users are in Emacs core)

It's definitely not worth worrying about that while designing
a replacement.  Maybe we'll want to preserve backward compatibility, but
let's first get a good replacement.

        Stefan