Subject: Re: bug#77718: 31.0.50; completion styles substring and flex are broken

From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2025 10:59:56 -0400

Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Mon, 02 Jun 2025 12:38:06 +0200 Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 02 May 2025 14:44:04 +0200 Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 2 May 2025 08:26:44 -0400 Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Fri, May 2, 2025, 4:30 AM Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>
>>>>> What about the other regression I mentioned?  Have you looked at that
>>>>> and tried the fix for it I included?  If there are no objections to that
>>>>> patch, I'd like to install it on master.  Or if there are problems with
>>>>> it, I'd welcome a better fix.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> That fix is not right and would cause other issues.
>>>
>>> When you have the opportunity, please say what those issues are; I have
>>> been using my patch since the first version of your changes that
>>> introduced this regression and don't recall any issues with it with my
>>> setup, but admittedly I haven't extensive testing with -Q or other
>>> configurations.
>>
>> Do you have a rough ETA for fixing this regression?  And again, can you
>> please explain what's wrong with my fix?
>
> Progress on this issue seems to be stalled.  I have no reason to doubt
> my fix may be problematic for use cases I haven't encountered, but I
> don't know what these are, so I cannot reasonably investigate further.
> If my patch is installed, those who encounter any problems due to it can
> report them, which hopefully will facilitate finding a better fix.
> Therefore, I request permission to install my patch.  If it causes
> serious problems for which there is no quick fix, it can be reverted.

There is no other regression.  rfn-eshadow works correctly, graying out
the section of the minibuffer text which will be removed by
substitute-in-file-name when read-file-name returns, even if point is in
that section of the text.  This has always been the case.  Likewise, the
pcm-based completion styles sometimes move point into that text on
try-completion.  This has also always been the case.  So there is no
other regression.