Subject: bug#77685: gzip-1.14 released [stable]

From: Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2025 21:39:07 -0700

This is to announce gzip-1.14, a stable release.

Most notable: "gzip -d" is up to 40% faster on x86_64 CPUs with pclmul
support. Why? Because about half of its time was spent computing a CRC
checksum, and that code is far more efficient now.  Even on 10-year-old
CPUs lacking pclmul support, it's ~20% faster.  Thanks to Lasse Collin
for alerting me to this very early on, to Sam Russell for contributing
gnulib's new crc module and to Bruno Haible and everyone else who keeps
the bar so high for all of gnulib. And as usual, thanks to Paul Eggert
for many contributions everywhere.

There have been 58 commits by 7 people in the 85 weeks since 1.13.

See the NEWS below for a brief summary.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed!
The following people contributed changes to this release:

  Bruno Haible (1)
  Collin Funk (4)
  Jim Meyering (26)
  Lasse Collin (1)
  Paul Eggert (24)
  Sam Russell (1)
  Simon Josefsson (1)

Jim
 [on behalf of the gzip maintainers]
==================================================================

Here is the GNU gzip home page:
    https://gnu.org/s/gzip/

Here are the compressed sources:
  https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/gzip-1.14.tar.gz   (1.4MB)
  https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/gzip-1.14.tar.xz   (868KB)

Here are the GPG detached signatures:
  https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/gzip-1.14.tar.gz.sig
  https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/gzip-1.14.tar.xz.sig

Use a mirror for higher download bandwidth:
  https://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html

Here are the SHA1 and SHA256 checksums:

  27f9847892a1c59b9527469a8a3e5d635057fbdd  gzip-1.14.tar.gz
  YT1upE8SSNc3DHzN7uDdABegnmw53olLPG8D+YEZHGs=  gzip-1.14.tar.gz
  05f44a8a589df0171e75769e3d11f8b11d692f58  gzip-1.14.tar.xz
  Aae4gb0iC/32Ffl7hxj4C9/T9q3ThbmT3Pbv0U6MCsY=  gzip-1.14.tar.xz

Verify the base64 SHA256 checksum with cksum -a sha256 --check
from coreutils-9.2 or OpenBSD's cksum since 2007.

Use a .sig file to verify that the corresponding file (without the
.sig suffix) is intact.  First, be sure to download both the .sig file
and the corresponding tarball.  Then, run a command like this:

  gpg --verify gzip-1.14.tar.gz.sig

The signature should match the fingerprint of the following key:

  pub   rsa4096/0x7FD9FCCB000BEEEE 2010-06-14 [SCEA]
        Key fingerprint = 155D 3FC5 00C8 3448 6D1E  EA67 7FD9 FCCB 000B EEEE
  uid                   [ unknown] Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
  uid                   [ unknown] Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>
  uid                   [ unknown] Jim Meyering <[email-masked]>

If that command fails because you don't have the required public key,
or that public key has expired, try the following commands to retrieve
or refresh it, and then rerun the 'gpg --verify' command.

  gpg --locate-external-key [email-masked]

  gpg --recv-keys 7FD9FCCB000BEEEE

  wget -q -O- 'https://savannah.gnu.org/project/release-gpgkeys.php?group=gzip&download=1' | gpg --import -

As a last resort to find the key, you can try the official GNU
keyring:

  wget -q https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-keyring.gpg
  gpg --keyring gnu-keyring.gpg --verify gzip-1.14.tar.gz.sig

This release is based on the gzip git repository, available as

  git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/gzip.git

with commit fbc4883eb9c304a04623ac506dd5cf5450d055f1 tagged as v1.14.

For a summary of changes and contributors, see:

  https://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gzip.git;a=shortlog;h=v1.14

or run this command from a git-cloned gzip directory:

  git shortlog v1.13..v1.14

This release was bootstrapped with the following tools:
  Autoconf 2.72.76-2f64
  Automake 1.17.0.91
  Gnulib 2025-01-31 553ab924d2b68d930fae5d3c6396502a57852d23

NEWS

* Noteworthy changes in release 1.14 (2025-04-09) [stable]

** Bug fixes

  'gzip -d' no longer omits the last partial output buffer when the
  input ends unexpectedly on an IBM Z platform.
  [bug introduced in gzip-1.11]

  'gzip -l' no longer misreports lengths of multimember inputs.
  [bug introduced in gzip-1.12]

  'gzip -S' now rejects suffixes containing '/'.
  [bug present since the beginning]

** Changes in behavior

  The GZIP environment variable is now silently ignored except for the
  options -1 (--fast) through -9 (--best), --rsyncable, and --synchronous.
  This brings gzip into line with more-cautious compressors like zstd
  that limit environment variables' effect to relatively innocuous
  performance issues.  You can continue to use scripts to specify
  whatever gzip options you like.

  'zmore' is no longer installed on platforms lacking 'more'.

** Performance improvements

  gzip now decompresses significantly faster by computing CRCs via a
  slice by 8 algorithm, and faster yet on x86-64 platforms that
  support pclmul instructions.

Also posted at https://savannah.gnu.org/news/?id=10752