Subject: 29.4; Emacs Lucid MenuBar/Item Cursor Icon Size

From: RDS <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2025 13:46:43 -0700

From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 29.4; Emacs Lucid MenuBar/Item Cursor Icon Size
--text follows this line--

The .Xresources file sets Xcursor.theme:Adwaita & Xcursor.size:48.
This cursor is just fine in the text body & in the toolbar, as expected.
But, in the menubar & the menuitems, the pointer is far smaller, in fact
barely visible. It's only a few pxls high.

Many tests have been tried with numerous other themes & cursor
sizes. Yet the menubar/item cursor icon is always tiny.

Is there a Xresource that controls this?

emacs.pane.menubar.cursor.size: ???

Is this a bug?

Thanks

Guido

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.18.2, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2025-03-13 built on
 0cbb79ebeb714371b64bef3269323882
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101016
System Description: Fedora Linux 41 (Forty One)

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var --runstatedir=/run
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-cairo --with-dbus --with-gif
 --with-gpm=no --with-harfbuzz --with-jpeg --with-json --with-modules
 --with-native-compilation=aot --with-png --with-rsvg --with-sqlite3
 --with-tiff --with-tree-sitter --with-webp --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-xft --with-xinput2 --with-xpm
 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects
 -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall
 -Werror=format-security -Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3
 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
 -fcf-protection -mtls-dialect=gnu2 -fno-omit-frame-pointer
 -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer ' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro -Wl,--as-needed
 -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs -Wl,-z,now
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-ld
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -Wl,--build-id=sha1
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-package-notes '
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig CXX=g++
 'CXXFLAGS=-O2 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g
 -grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
 -fcf-protection -mtls-dialect=gnu2 -fno-omit-frame-pointer
 -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer ''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  server-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny rfc822
mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs server derived xt-mouse
time-date comp comp-cstr warnings icons rx cl-extra help-mode smtpmail
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs cl-loaddefs cl-lib
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97038 9138)
 (symbols 48 8074 0)
 (strings 32 24587 3003)
 (string-bytes 1 725101)
 (vectors 16 18437)
 (vector-slots 8 379018 19584)
 (floats 8 48 36)
 (intervals 56 727 0)
 (buffers 984 15))