Subject: 30.1; Wrap text does not work when window is right-splitted more than once

From: Rittwik Chatterjee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2025 19:15:39 +0530

From: Rittwik Chatterjee <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 30.1; Wrap text does not work when window is right-splitted more
than once
X-Debbugs-Cc:
--text follows this line--

1. emacs -Q
2. M-x split-window-right
   This will split the window and you can see that Emacs properly wraps
   the text of the scratch buffer.
3. M-x split-window-right
   This will split the window again. Now you have three windows. The
   extreme right window is bigger compared to the other two windows.
   In the bigger window you can still see that Emacs wraps the text. But
   in the smaller windows Emacs stops wrapping the text.
   Please see the attached image.
4. It seems this stop wrapping text has nothing to do with the window
   dimension. As after right-splitting the window for the first time, if
   I reduce the window dimension by reducing the frame dimension manually,
   Emacs still splits the text properly. It only happens if I right-split
the window again.

In GNU Emacs 30.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.49,
cairo version 1.18.4)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101016
System Description: ArcoLinux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var --disable-build-details
 --with-cairo --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd --with-modules
 --with-native-compilation=aot --with-tree-sitter 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection
 -fcf-protection -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer -g
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs -flto=auto'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,relro
 -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  hl-line-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  multistate-global-mode: t
  multistate-mode: t
  company-statistics-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  aas-global-mode: t
  aas-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug mule-util files-x shell wdired shortdoc
help-fns radix-tree hippie-exp misearch multi-isearch oc-basic
org-element org-persist org-id org-refile org-element-ast inline
avl-tree generator ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe
ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus comp-run comp-common xml
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec
epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util
mail-prsvr wid-edit ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif
ol-bibtex bibtex iso8601 ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src sh-script smie
treesit executable ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list
org-footnote org-faces org-entities time-date ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-version org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core
org-keys oc org-loaddefs thingatpt find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs org-compat org-macs format-spec dired-rainbow dired-open
dired-hacks-utils dired-aux dired-x dired dired-loaddefs noutline
outline hl-line flyspell ispell init-latex init-treesitter init-keys
init-plugins solarized-dark-theme solarized solarized-faces color
yasnippet wgrep grep compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc
ansi-color vertico compat shift-text rainbow-delimiters multistate ht
dash hydra lv company-statistics company-dabbrev company-files
company-capf company avy ring init-aas-snippets aas init-edit rect rx
pcase init-core advice init-dired init-utility finder-inf aas-autoloads
avy-autoloads company-statistics-autoloads company-autoloads
dired-open-autoloads dired-rainbow-autoloads dired-hacks-utils-autoloads
hydra-autoloads lv-autoloads multistate-autoloads ht-autoloads info
dash-autoloads rainbow-delimiters-autoloads solarized-theme-autoloads
vertico-autoloads wgrep-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads package browse-url
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars saveplace cl-seq
display-line-numbers autorevert filenotify elec-pair delsel cus-load
cl-extra help-mode icons cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 618514 95755) (symbols 48 35003 0)
 (strings 32 175072 4790) (string-bytes 1 4890607) (vectors 16 54829)
 (vector-slots 8 1022443 102751) (floats 8 679 7206)
 (intervals 56 1332 745) (buffers 992 16))