Subject: Re: bug#77634: [shepherd] Test failures on GNU/Hurd

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2025 18:19:56 +0200

Hey,

[email-masked] writes:

> The last thing that still needs fixing is the message-destination
> procedure in the system-log.sh test. Currently It sends all messages
> to the $syslog_remote_file if the message has a sender, but arguably
> the (null) AF_UNIX sockets are not remote.

Oh right.  I think 2d70e2f3948910ab97b9d90d75aa0196596fa917 should fix
it.

> I then tried the shepherd syslogd on the childhurd but some things were not quite right:
> - the /dev/klog messages are being logged but were missing the
> %kernel-prefix, i dont think this is a  problem with shepherd.
> - I saw no syslog messages in /var/log/messages, i.e. from sshd or a
> user shepherd logging to syslog. It just seems to stop logging to the
> main log file entirely after finishing with /dev/klog.
> Any ideas?

Yeah, I think that’s because of the streamio bug:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-hurd/2025-04/msg00023.html

> Thank you for making shepherd very approachable. I had no issues
> understanding how the syslog service is supposed to work and hunt down
> the bug.

Thanks for the kind words.  I very much hope if feels approachable to as
many people as possible.

Ludo’.