Subject: bug#7762: fail to build and install emacs on solaris 10 for 23.2

From: 王亮 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 19:50:36 +0800

what i report here isfor a solaris version emacs issue

(uname -a

SunOS R28BS2 5.10 Generic_142909-17 sun4v sparc SUNW,T5140)

i'm going to move emacs from 23.2, but i found the build always fail

when doing make, the following is the detail make error,

when i finish the configure command, i run make, and i got the first

error:

...

Loading term/common-win...

Loading term/x-win...

Loading mwheel...

Loading emacs-lisp/float-sup...

Loading vc-hooks...

Loading ediff-hook...

Loading tooltip...

Finding pointers to doc strings...

Finding pointers to doc strings...done

Dumping under the name emacs

40901 pure bytes used

mv -f emacs bootstrap-emacs

cd ../lisp; make  compile-first EMACS=../src/bootstrap-emacs

cd ../lisp; make  autoloads EMACS=../src/bootstrap-emacs

chmod +w /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/ps-print.el /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/em
ulation/tpu-edt.el \

  /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-loaddefs.el /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/
lisp/mail/rmail.el \

  /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/dired.el /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/ibuffer.el

wd=/u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp; subdirs=`(cd $wd; find . -type d -print)`
;  for file in $subdirs; do  case $file in */Old | */RCS | */CVS | */CVS/* 
| */.* | */.*/* | */=* | */obsolete | */term ) ;;  *) wins="$wins $wd/$
file" ;;  esac;  done; \

echo Directories: $wins; \

EMACSLOADPATH=/u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp LC_ALL=C ../src/bootstrap-emacs
 -batch --no-site-file --multibyte -l autoload --eval '(setq generated-auto
load-file "/u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/loaddefs.el")' -f batch-update-autoloa
ds $wins

Directories: /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/. /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/./calc /
u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/./cedet /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/./cedet/ede /u/l
iangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/./cedet/semantic /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/./cedet/se
mantic/decorate /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/./cedet/semantic/analyze /u/liang
w/emacs-23.2/lisp/./cedet/semantic/wisent /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/./cedet
/semantic/symref /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/./cedet/semantic/bovine /u/liang
w/emacs-23.2/lisp/./cedet/srecode /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/./org /u/liangw
/emacs-23.2/lisp/./progmodes /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/./play /u/liangw/ema
cs-23.2/lisp/./net /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/./international /u/liangw/emac
s-23.2/lisp/./erc /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/./url /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp
/./calendar /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/./language /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/
./emulation /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/./nxml /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/./mh
-e /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/./emacs-lisp /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/./textm
odes /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/./gnus /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/./eshell /u
/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/./mail

*** Error code 139

make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `autoloads'

Current working directory /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp

*** Error code 1

make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `/u/liangw/emacs-23.2/lisp/loa
ddefs.el'

Current working directory /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/src

*** Error code 1

make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `src'

then i run make again, i got a different error:

...

Loading term/x-win...

Loading mwheel...

Loading emacs-lisp/float-sup...

Loading vc-hooks...

Loading ediff-hook...

Loading tooltip...

Finding pointers to doc strings...

Finding pointers to doc strings...done

Dumping under the name emacs

1565522 pure bytes used

Adding name emacs-23.2.1

ln -f emacs bootstrap-emacs

./emacs -q -batch -f list-load-path-shadows

*** Signal 11 - core dumped (ignored)

cd lisp; make all                            \

  CC='gcc' CFLAGS='-g -O2 -Wdeclaration-after-statement' CPPFLAGS='' \

  LDFLAGS='-Wl,-znocombreloc  -L/usr/openwin/lib' MAKE='make'

make  compile-last EMACS=../src/emacs

(export PARALLEL; PARALLEL=0; cd leim; make all  \

  CC='gcc' CFLAGS='-g -O2 -Wdeclaration-after-statement' CPPFLAGS='' \

  LDFLAGS='-Wl,-znocombreloc  -L/usr/openwin/lib' MAKE='make')

EMACSLOADPATH=/u/liangw/emacs-23.2/leim/../lisp LC_ALL=C  ../src/emacs 
-batch --no-init-file --no-site-file --multibyte -l /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/le
im/../lisp/international/titdic-cnv \

  -f batch-titdic-convert -dir quail /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/leim/CXTERM-DIC; \

  echo "changed" > changed.tit

*** Error code 139

make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `changed.tit'

Current working directory /u/liangw/emacs-23.2/leim

*** Error code 1

make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `leim'

Can you help on this issue, or what more information i can provide?

I paste the configure command output below

liangw@R28BS2 $ ^./configure --prefix=/u/liangw  --with-gif=no

checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.10

checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.10

checking for gcc... gcc

checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out

checking whether the C compiler works... yes

checking whether we are cross compiling... no

checking for suffix of executables...

checking for suffix of object files... o

checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes

checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes

checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed

checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E

checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /opt/exp/gnu/bin//grep

checking for egrep... /opt/exp/gnu/bin//grep -E

checking for ANSI C header files... yes

checking for sys/types.h... yes

checking for sys/stat.h... yes

checking for stdlib.h... yes

checking for string.h... yes

checking for memory.h... yes

checking for strings.h... yes

checking for inttypes.h... yes

checking for stdint.h... yes

checking for unistd.h... yes

checking minix/config.h usability... no

checking minix/config.h presence... no

checking for minix/config.h... no

checking whether it is safe to define __EXTENSIONS__... yes

checking whether gcc understands -Wno-pointer-sign... no

checking whether gcc understands -Wdeclaration-after-statement... yes

checking whether ln -s works... yes

checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /opt/exp/gnu/bin//install -c

checking for ranlib... ranlib

checking for install-info... /opt/exp/gnu/bin//install-info

checking for install-info... (cached) /opt/exp/gnu/bin//install-info

checking for install-info... (cached) /opt/exp/gnu/bin//install-info

checking for gzip... /usr/bin/gzip

checking for makeinfo... /opt/exp/gnu/bin//makeinfo

checking for -znocombreloc... yes

configure: checking the machine- and system-dependent files to find out

 - which libraries the lib-src programs will want, and

 - whether the GNU malloc routines are usable...

checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no

checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... 64

checking machine/soundcard.h usability... no

checking machine/soundcard.h presence... no

checking for machine/soundcard.h... no

checking sys/soundcard.h usability... no

checking sys/soundcard.h presence... no

checking for sys/soundcard.h... no

checking soundcard.h usability... no

checking soundcard.h presence... no

checking for soundcard.h... no

checking for _oss_ioctl in -lossaudio... no

checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config

checking for alsa >= 1.0.0... no

Package alsa was not found in the pkg-config search path.

Perhaps you should add the directory containing `alsa.pc'

to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable

No package 'alsa' found

checking sys/select.h usability... yes

checking sys/select.h presence... yes

checking for sys/select.h... yes

checking sys/timeb.h usability... yes

checking sys/timeb.h presence... yes

checking for sys/timeb.h... yes

checking sys/time.h usability... yes

checking sys/time.h presence... yes

checking for sys/time.h... yes

checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes

checking utime.h usability... yes

checking utime.h presence... yes

checking for utime.h... yes

checking linux/version.h usability... no

checking linux/version.h presence... no

checking for linux/version.h... no

checking sys/systeminfo.h usability... yes

checking sys/systeminfo.h presence... yes

checking for sys/systeminfo.h... yes

checking termios.h usability... yes

checking termios.h presence... yes

checking for termios.h... yes

checking limits.h usability... yes

checking limits.h presence... yes

checking for limits.h... yes

checking for string.h... (cached) yes

checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes

checking termcap.h usability... no

checking termcap.h presence... no

checking for termcap.h... no

checking stdio_ext.h usability... yes

checking stdio_ext.h presence... yes

checking for stdio_ext.h... yes

checking fcntl.h usability... yes

checking fcntl.h presence... yes

checking for fcntl.h... yes

checking for strings.h... (cached) yes

checking coff.h usability... no

checking coff.h presence... no

checking for coff.h... no

checking pty.h usability... no

checking pty.h presence... no

checking for pty.h... no

checking sys/mman.h usability... yes

checking sys/mman.h presence... yes

checking for sys/mman.h... yes

checking sys/param.h usability... yes

checking sys/param.h presence... yes

checking for sys/param.h... yes

checking sys/vlimit.h usability... no

checking sys/vlimit.h presence... no

checking for sys/vlimit.h... no

checking sys/resource.h usability... yes

checking sys/resource.h presence... yes

checking for sys/resource.h... yes

checking locale.h usability... yes

checking locale.h presence... yes

checking for locale.h... yes

checking sys/_mbstate_t.h usability... no

checking sys/_mbstate_t.h presence... no

checking for sys/_mbstate_t.h... no

checking sys/utsname.h usability... yes

checking sys/utsname.h presence... yes

checking for sys/utsname.h... yes

checking pwd.h usability... yes

checking pwd.h presence... yes

checking for pwd.h... yes

checking utmp.h usability... yes

checking utmp.h presence... yes

checking for utmp.h... yes

checking if personality LINUX32 can be set... no

checking for term.h... yes

checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes

checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes

checking whether sys_siglist is declared... no

checking whether __sys_siglist is declared... no

checking for sys/wait.h that is POSIX.1 compatible... yes

checking for struct utimbuf... yes

checking return type of signal handlers... void

checking for speed_t... yes

checking for struct timeval... yes

checking for struct exception... yes

checking sys/socket.h usability... yes

checking sys/socket.h presence... yes

checking for sys/socket.h... yes

checking for net/if.h... yes

checking whether struct tm is in sys/time.h or time.h... time.h

checking for struct tm.tm_zone... no

checking whether tzname is declared... yes

checking for tzname... yes

checking for struct tm.tm_gmtoff... no

checking for struct ifreq.ifr_flags... yes

checking for struct ifreq.ifr_hwaddr... no

checking for struct ifreq.ifr_netmask... no

checking for struct ifreq.ifr_broadaddr... yes

checking for struct ifreq.ifr_addr... yes

checking for function prototypes... yes

checking for working volatile... yes

checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes

checking for void * support... yes

checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes

checking whether we are using GNU Make... no

checking for long file names... yes

checking for X... libraries /usr/openwin/lib, headers /usr/openwin/include

checking for malloc_get_state... no

checking for malloc_set_state... no

checking whether __after_morecore_hook exists... no

checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes

checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes

checking for getpagesize... yes

checking for working mmap... yes

checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet... no

checking for main in -lXbsd... no

checking for cma_open in -lpthreads... no

checking for Xkb... yes

checking for XrmSetDatabase... yes

checking for XScreenResourceString... yes

checking for XScreenNumberOfScreen... yes

checking for XSetWMProtocols... yes

checking X11 version 6... 6 or newer

checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config

checking for librsvg-2.0 >= 2.11.0... no

Requested 'librsvg-2.0 >= 2.11.0' but version of librsvg is 2.5.0

checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config

checking for gtk+-2.0 >= 2.6 glib-2.0 >= 2.6... no

Requested 'gtk+-2.0 >= 2.6' but version of GTK+ is 2.4.9

checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config

checking for dbus-1 >= 1.0... no

Package dbus-1 was not found in the pkg-config search path.

Perhaps you should add the directory containing `dbus-1.pc'

to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable

No package 'dbus-1' found

checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config

checking for gconf-2.0 >= 2.13... no

Requested 'gconf-2.0 >= 2.13' but version of gconf is 2.6.1

checking for xaw3d... no

checking for libXaw... yes; using Lucid toolkit

checking X11 toolkit version... 6 or newer

checking for XmuConvertStandardSelection in -lXmu... yes

checking for XShapeQueryExtension in -lXext... yes

checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config

checking for fontconfig >= 2.2.0... yes

checking FONTCONFIG_CFLAGS...

checking FONTCONFIG_LIBS... -lfontconfig

checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config

checking for xft >= 0.13.0... yes

checking XFT_CFLAGS... -I/usr/openwin/include -I/usr/sfw/include -I/usr/sfw
/include/freetype2

checking XFT_LIBS... -R/usr/openwin/lib -R/usr/sfw/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib:/
usr/openwin/sfw/lib -L/usr/openwin/lib -L/usr/sfw/lib -L/usr/openwin/sfw/li
b -lXft -lfreetype -lXrender -lfontconfig

checking for XRenderQueryExtension in -lXrender... yes

checking X11/Xft/Xft.h usability... yes

checking X11/Xft/Xft.h presence... yes

checking for X11/Xft/Xft.h... yes

checking for XftFontOpen in -lXft... yes

checking for pkg-config... (cached) /usr/bin/pkg-config

checking for libotf... no

Package libotf was not found in the pkg-config search path.

Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libotf.pc'

to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable

No package 'libotf' found

checking X11/xpm.h usability... yes

checking X11/xpm.h presence... yes

checking for X11/xpm.h... yes

checking for XpmReadFileToPixmap in -lXpm... yes

checking for XpmReturnAllocPixels preprocessor define... yes

checking jerror.h usability... yes

checking jerror.h presence... yes

checking for jerror.h... yes

checking for jpeg_destroy_compress in -ljpeg... yes

checking png.h usability... yes

checking png.h presence... yes

checking for png.h... yes

checking libpng/png.h usability... yes

checking libpng/png.h presence... yes

checking for libpng/png.h... yes

checking for png_get_channels in -lpng... yes

checking tiffio.h usability... yes

checking tiffio.h presence... yes

checking for tiffio.h... yes

checking for TIFFGetVersion in -ltiff... yes

checking gpm.h usability... no

checking gpm.h presence... no

checking for gpm.h... no

checking malloc/malloc.h usability... no

checking malloc/malloc.h presence... no

checking for malloc/malloc.h... no

checking X11/SM/SMlib.h usability... yes

checking X11/SM/SMlib.h presence... yes

checking for X11/SM/SMlib.h... yes

checking for SmcOpenConnection in -lSM... yes

checking whether netdb declares h_errno... yes

checking for working alloca.h... yes

checking for alloca... yes

checking for sqrt in -lm... yes

checking for maillock in -lmail... yes

checking for maillock in -llockfile... no

checking for liblockfile.so... no

checking for touchlock... yes

checking maillock.h usability... yes

checking maillock.h presence... yes

checking for maillock.h... yes

checking for gethostname... yes

checking for getdomainname... yes

checking for dup2... yes

checking for rename... yes

checking for closedir... yes

checking for mkdir... yes

checking for rmdir... yes

checking for sysinfo... yes

checking for getrusage... yes

checking for get_current_dir_name... no

checking for random... yes

checking for lrand48... yes

checking for bcopy... yes

checking for bcmp... yes

checking for logb... yes

checking for frexp... yes

checking for fmod... yes

checking for rint... yes

checking for cbrt... yes

checking for ftime... yes

checking for setsid... yes

checking for strerror... yes

checking for fpathconf... yes

checking for select... yes

checking for mktime... yes

checking for euidaccess... no

checking for getpagesize... (cached) yes

checking for tzset... yes

checking for setlocale... yes

checking for utimes... yes

checking for getrlimit... yes

checking for setrlimit... yes

checking for setpgid... yes

checking for getcwd... yes

checking for getwd... yes

checking for shutdown... yes

checking for getaddrinfo... yes

checking for __fpending... yes

checking for mblen... yes

checking for mbrlen... yes

checking for mbsinit... yes

checking for strsignal... yes

checking for setitimer... yes

checking for ualarm... yes

checking for index... yes

checking for rindex... yes

checking for sendto... yes

checking for recvfrom... yes

checking for getsockopt... yes

checking for setsockopt... yes

checking for getsockname... yes

checking for getpeername... yes

checking for gai_strerror... yes

checking for mkstemp... yes

checking for getline... no

checking for getdelim... no

checking for mremap... no

checking for memmove... yes

checking for fsync... yes

checking for sync... yes

checking for bzero... yes

checking for memset... yes

checking for memcmp... yes

checking for difftime... yes

checking for memcpy... yes

checking for mempcpy... no

checking for mblen... (cached) yes

checking for mbrlen... (cached) yes

checking for posix_memalign... no

checking for cfmakeraw... no

checking for cfsetspeed... no

checking sys/un.h usability... yes

checking sys/un.h presence... yes

checking for sys/un.h... yes

checking for sys/time.h... (cached) yes

checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes

checking for alarm... yes

checking for working mktime... no

checking for getloadavg... yes

checking for pstat_getdynamic... no

checking for kstat_open in -lkstat... yes

checking for getloadavg... yes

checking whether getloadavg requires setgid... no

checking for _LARGEFILE_SOURCE value needed for large files... no

checking getopt.h usability... yes

checking getopt.h presence... yes

checking for getopt.h... yes

checking for getopt_long_only... yes

checking whether optreset is declared... no

checking for working GNU getopt function... no

checking whether getpgrp requires zero arguments... yes

checking for strftime... yes

checking for grantpt... yes

checking for getpt... no

checking for tparm in -lncurses... yes

checking for res_init with -lresolv... yes

checking for dgettext in -lintl... yes

checking whether localtime caches TZ... yes

checking for gettimeofday... yes

checking whether gettimeofday can accept two arguments... yes

checking for socket... yes

checking netinet/in.h usability... yes

checking netinet/in.h presence... yes

checking for netinet/in.h... yes

checking arpa/inet.h usability... yes

checking arpa/inet.h presence... yes

checking for arpa/inet.h... yes

checking sys/ioctl.h usability... yes

checking sys/ioctl.h presence... yes

checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes

checking whether system supports dynamic ptys... yes

checking for pid_t... yes

checking vfork.h usability... no

checking vfork.h presence... no

checking for vfork.h... no

checking for fork... yes

checking for vfork... yes

checking for working fork... no

checking for working vfork... (cached) yes

checking for nl_langinfo and CODESET... yes

checking for size_t... yes

checking for mbstate_t... yes

checking for C restrict keyword... __restrict

checking for C restricted array declarations... yes

Configured for `sparc-sun-solaris2.10'.

  Where should the build process find the source code?    /u/liangw/emacs-2
3.2

  What operating system and machine description files should Emacs use?

        `s/sol2-10.h' and `m/sparc.h'

  What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -g -O2 -Wdecl
aration-after-statement

  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             no

    (The GNU allocators don't work with this system configuration.)

  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    no

  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no

  What window system should Emacs use?                    x11

  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          LUCID

  Where do we find X Windows header files?                /usr/openwin/incl
ude

  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   /usr/openwin/lib

  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no

  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes

  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  yes

  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  yes

  Does Emacs use a gif library?                           no

  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   yes

  Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                no

  Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   no

  Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  no

  Does Emacs use -lgconf?                                 no

  Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              yes

  Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              no

  Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   no

  Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   yes

  Does Emacs use toolkit scroll bars?                     no

configure: creating ./config.status

config.status: creating Makefile

config.status: creating lib-src/Makefile.c

config.status: creating oldXMenu/Makefile

config.status: creating doc/emacs/Makefile

config.status: creating doc/misc/Makefile

config.status: creating doc/lispintro/Makefile

config.status: creating doc/lispref/Makefile

config.status: creating src/Makefile.c

config.status: creating lwlib/Makefile

config.status: creating lisp/Makefile

config.status: creating leim/Makefile

config.status: creating src/config.h

config.status: executing default commands

creating src/epaths.h

creating lib-src/Makefile

creating src/Makefile