Subject: Re: [bug#77616] [PATCH rust-team 0/6] Shorten rust bootstrap

From: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2025 11:55:45 +0300

Thanks for the patches!

On Mon, Apr 07, 2025 at 02:52:05PM -0400, Morgan Smith wrote:
> mrustc supports bootstraping rust version 1.74.0.  This shortens the bootstrap
> process by removing the need to compile 19 versions of rust.
> 
> I also decided to use gexps everywhere for fun.
> 
> I tested this on my laptop but I suppose we need to run some CI or something
> right?
> 
> Morgan Smith (6):
>   gnu: mrustc: Update to 0.11.2.

I've merged this patch with one I had locally updating to a later
commit.

>   gnu: rust-bootstrap: Update to 1.74.0.

I adjusted this patch so that we kept the previous rust-bootstrap since
[email-masked] doesn't build on all the architectures.  I found it
failed on aarch64 and powerpc64le and the build is still ongoing for
riscv64.  I haven't tested it on any of the 32-bit systems yet.

>   gnu: rust-1.75: Inherit from rust-bootstrap.

This patch I dropped since we can't get rid of the intermediate rust
versions yet.  I instead wrote a different patch merging
rust-bootstrap-1.74 into the chain so that rust-1.75 will build with
rust-bootstrap-1.74 if it is supported and rust-1.74 otherwise.

>   gnu: rust-bootstrapped-package: Use modify-inputs.

This one I modified slightly to keep the *-bootstrap names since I
didn't drop them from rust-bootstrap-1.54.

>   gnu: Remove unneeded rust bootstrapping versions.

This one I didn't apply since we still need the in between versions.

>   gnu: rust: Use gexps.

This one didn't apply, but I'd be happy to use if you fixed it up.

> 
>  gnu/local.mk                                  |   2 -
>  gnu/packages/patches/mrustc-patches.patch     |  19 -
>  .../rust-1.64-fix-riscv64-bootstrap.patch     | 565 ----------
>  gnu/packages/rust.scm                         | 976 ++++++------------
>  4 files changed, 288 insertions(+), 1274 deletions(-)
>  delete mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/mrustc-patches.patch
>  delete mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/rust-1.64-fix-riscv64-bootstrap.patch
> 
> 
> base-commit: 7be2b8f57f6986654f198b43b4e96833e18b1a77
> -- 
> 2.49.0
> 
> 
> 

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <[email-masked]>   אפרים פלשנר
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted