Subject: bug#7761: closed (Re: bug#7761: The NS port is still 11 times slower than normal)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 19:06:02 +0000

Your bug report

#7761: The NS port is still 11 times slower than normal

which was filed against the emacs,ns package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
7761: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7761
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#7761: The NS port is still 11 times slower than normal
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 15:05:49 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I don't see a need to keep open this particular report, which was marked
"wontfix" some time ago.

This is a very general report. It is better to focus on specific issues
in separate reports and try and fix them (for example, #2056).

Subject: The NS port is still 11 times slower than normal
From: Leo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:05:22 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi all,

There are numerous bug reports on the issues of NS port, in particular
the performance degradation after turning flyspell on.

I did a build of the NS port from trunk two days ago. And I tried
flyspell-buffer on the about page (C-h C-a). And it was about 11 times
slower than a same run on other terminals (X11, tty, Mac) etc.

Some of the reports are as old as two years ago. There seems little hope
it will shape up in the foreseeable future. I have been told even as it
stands today it is already much improved.

Meanwhile, we have a better alternative (the macport¹) that provides
comparable feature set as in GNU/Linux and without any compromise in
performance.

I wonder if macport should be merged?

Thanks.

Leo

Footnotes: 
¹  ftp://ftp.math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp/emacs