Subject: bug#7761: The NS port is still 11 times slower than normal

From: Leo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 10:26:40 +0000

Sorry I was going to send this to the devel list.

On 2010-12-30 11:36 +0000, Jan Djärv wrote:
> A way to reproduce starting from -Q would be more helpful if this is
> to be fixed.  Enumerating the missing future set in the current port
> is also helpful, sweeping statements is not.

Could you reproduce it by:

 1. C-h C-a
 2. M-x flyspell-buffer

I could see the point moving slowly from word to word. A similar run on
tty or X11 would be nearly instant.

Sorry I cannot try it again since I have already deleted the build. It
associates tons of files with Emacs and deleting is the only way I know
that could quickly remove the associations.

I haven't been using the NS port for over 15 months. I can't remember
what is missing. But I remember it gave me enough reasons to build a
patched emacs from source for the very first time on OSX.

But the author of macport has detailed its features here:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/124489

Hope this useful.

> I don't think switching is an option, the macport doesn't seem to be
> based on emacs 24 yet.

I think merging it isn't too difficult.

Leo