Subject: [bug#77601] [PATCH v2 1/2] gnu: font-fira-sans: Update to 4.301-1.f54eeb3

From: Hilton Chain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2025 21:24:10 +0800

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Kurome <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> The former comment mentioned that this is the final version including the
>> source code.  However, many fonts included in Guix do not come with source
>> code, so I believe this is acceptable.
>
> Yeah, that’s right, although it’s still a bummer to lower our standards.
>
> I think we have no clear guideline to follow.  The package is still free
> (under SIL OFL), and the FSDG is very lax on “non-functional data”
> anyway.

Quoting FSDG, fonts are clearly defined as functional:
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
“Information for practical use” includes software, documentation, fonts,
and other data that has direct functional applications.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I posted the issue on guix-devel [1].  I think we can remove fonts that
are not possible to be built from source first, and change remaining
ones to build from source gradually.

---
[1]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2025-04/msg00085.html