Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 1/3] gnu: hdf5: Update to 1.14.6.

From: David Elsing <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2025 13:22:19 +0000

Hello,

Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> writes:

> I only had a very cursory look at your patches; they are not picked up
> by QA, did you use "git send-email" for submitting them?

Yes, I sent them as usual.

> I do not think the hdf5-examples package makes sense if the examples are
> not installed as some kind of documentation. What is its goal? We could
> either drop it altogether. Or include its phases somehow into the main
> hdf5 package so that its tests constitute an additional check phase.
> Or also install the examples.

I'm also not sure how useful installing the examples would be, as they
are included in the source already, so I think we should just remove the
package.

> I suppose you wrote the reproducibility patch for hdf(5)-java yourself;
> would it make sense to upstream it?

No, I adapted the previous patch in Guix, which modifies the "configure"
script, to change "configure.ac" instead.

For hdf5-java, I added the 'strip-jar-timestamps phase.

Anyway, I just noticed that upstream removed the Autotools build scripts
(in favor of CMake) last month. :)
I'll change the packages to already use CMake instead.

Best,

David