Subject: [bug#77585] [PATCH] services: mumi: Add Debbugs rsync as shepherd timer.

From: Arun Isaac <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2025 22:58:02 +0100

Hi Ludo,

> As a matter of style, I would return a program
> (‘mumi-rsync-and-index-program’) rather than a gexp; I find it clearer
> and more robust (the gexp leaves it up to the caller to insert it in the
> right context).

Good point, thanks! I was merely trying to save whitespace in the left.
Maybe we should indent program-file differently in the future?

But, fixed for now.

>> +                      (command
>> +                       (program-file "mumi-rsync-and-index"
>> +                                     (mumi-rsync-and-index-gexp config)))
>
> I think you’re missing #$ before (mumi-rsync-and-index-gexp config).

Good catch, thanks!

>> +                      #:log-file #$%mumi-rsync-and-index-log
>> +                      #:max-duration (* 60 60)
>> +                      #:wait-for-termination? #t))
>
> Every minute is a lot, especially since it may take several seconds to
> establish the rsync-over-ssh connection.  It’s mitigated by the use of
> #:wait-for-termination? but still sounds fairly aggressive to me.
> (It would be ideal if the Debbugs instance could somehow notify mumi.)

I have switched to a polling frequency of 2 minutes now. Still quite
high, but we can cut it down to 5 minutes if it's too much.

> Perhaps mention the polling frequency in the manual?

Done now.

When I deploy this on berlin, how do I get shepherd to pick up the new
timer service. Is there a `herd reload' or similar? Or, do I have to
reboot?

Thanks,
Arun