Subject: bug#77580: [PATCH] New command ediff-undo

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2025 09:21:35 +0800

Hello,

On Wed 09 Apr 2025 at 10:27pm +02, Paul D. Nelson wrote:

> Many thanks for the pointer to vundo.  It's a great tool for navigating
> undo histories visually.
>
> The commands I've proposed (ediff-undo and diff-with-undo) serve a
> somewhat different niche, primarily addressing a simpler use case:
> quick, one-off comparisons with recent undo states, typically one or two
> steps back.  Their implementation is straightforward and minimal.  vundo
> is more innovative, but also more complex.  For the common scenarios
> where I've found the proposed commands useful, vundo would generally be
> overkill.

It might be more complex, but in general we really don't want to add
functionality to Emacs core that is already available on ELPA, because
we are working towards shipping the whole of GNU ELPA with our release
tarballs.  Then we would be shipping the same functionality twice.

So if vundo can already do what ediff-undo and diff-with-undo are for,
then I'm afraid we probably shouldn't continue working on the latter
two.  I hope this is not too disappointing.

-- 
Sean Whitton