Subject: bug#7757: 24.0.50; list-load-path-shadows should be documented in lispref manual

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 10:56:57 -0800

I recently stumbled onto list-load-path-shadows command defined in
shadow.el.  This is a very useful command, but it is not mentioned
in the lispref manual.  I took a stab at adding it to the manual as
shown by the diff below which adds a few lines at the end of the
"Library Search" node in the manual just after the documentation
of locate-library.

=== modified file 'doc/lispref/loading.texi'
--- doc/lispref/loading.texi	2010-11-18 03:54:14 +0000
+++ doc/lispref/loading.texi	2010-12-29 18:50:23 +0000
@@ -363,6 +363,20 @@
 tells @code{locate-library} to display the file name in the echo area.
 @end deffn
 
+@deffn Command list-load-path-shadows &optional stringp
+Display a list of Emacs Lisp files that shadow other files.
+
+If @var{stringp} is non-@code{nil}, returns any shadows as a string.
+Otherwise, if interactive shows any shadows in a ``*Shadows*'' buffer;
+else prints messages listing any shadows.
+
+This function lists potential load path problems.  Directories in
+the @var{load-path} variable are searched, in order, for Emacs Lisp
+files.  When a previously encountered file name is found again, a
+message is displayed indicating that the later file is ``hidden'' by
+the earlier.
+@end deffn
+
 @node Loading Non-ASCII
 @section Loading Non-@acronym{ASCII} Characters