Subject: Regression in defaults: Re: Enhance 'icomplete-vertical-mode' customization options.

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2025 10:34:17 +0100

Helo Rahul,

Your change introduces a undocumented regression in the default use of
fido-vertical-mode

b98fe25c2ee2ac2d82b337c49d1aa1dfed2417eb is the first bad commit
commit b98fe25c2ee2ac2d82b337c49d1aa1dfed2417eb
Author: Rahul Martim Juliato <[email-masked]>
Date:   Sat Mar 29 12:55:59 2025 -0300

    Enhance 'icomplete-vertical-mode' customization options.

 etc/NEWS          |  20 +++++++++
 lisp/icomplete.el | 123 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 2 files changed, 140 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

Using simply this recipe

   emacs -Q -nw -f fido-vertical-mode -f find-file

You will see that after your change two characters are wasted on the
left side of every candidate displayed in the vertical arrangement.

I have no opinion on the change, except that usually the current
behaviour that's been in Emacs for at least 2 major versions should be
kept, and those wishing to take advantage of the new functionality
should customize accordingly.

So perhaps the default values of the customization options you have
introduced need to be changed, or some changes specific to
fido-vertical-mode have to be introduced.

Thanks,
João