Subject: Re: bug#77544: (WIP) [PATCH] Prettify page separators.

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2025 12:27:39 +0530

[சனி ஏப்ரல் 05, 2025] Elijah Gabe Pérez wrote:

> Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Nothing to add to your comments ATM, but maybe an alternative idea: how
>> about solving this with a new type of display property for drawing a
>> horizontal line? Say `horizontal-line WIDTH' where WIDTH could be nil or
>> something to draw a line to the end of the display area? That would have
>> the advantage that it would be a relatively locally confined change and
>> would have no impact when not used, and hopefully little potential to
>> break unrelated things when not used.
>
> I like this idea.

Do we need a new display property when we have the :strike-through face
attribute?  The following achieves the same effect, albeit the newline
is required for the :extend attribute to work properly AFAIU:

    (font-lock-add-keywords 
     nil
     '(("\f\n" (0 (prog1 nil
                    (put-text-property (match-beginning 0) (1- (match-end 0))
                                       'display " ")
                    (put-text-property (match-beginning 0) (match-end 0)
                                       'face '(:strike-through t :extend t)))))))
    (push 'display font-lock-extra-managed-props)