Subject: Re: [bug#77527] [PATCH v4 5/6] guix-install.sh: Group profile sourcing.

From: Liam Hupfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2025 15:34:47 -0500

Hi Hilton!

I recently removed Guix Home profile initialization from the
system-level shell profile in bug#76082
(<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/76082>), hence the explicit comment. The
rationale is provided in the cover letter, [[bug#76082] [PATCH 0/9]
Improve profile initialization on foreign distros plus misc
improvements], and commit [[bug#76082] [PATCH 4/9] guix-install.sh: Remove
system-level Guix Home initialization.].

I would advocate against attempting to initialize the Guix Home profile
in the system ‘/etc/profile/’ files (or in Guix System’s equivalent
system-level shell initialization). Guix Home is capable of initializing
itself entirely at the user level. This is the default behavior and
documented in the manual at ‘(guix) Configuring the Shell’. Guix Home
users retain more control over fine-tuning shell initialization this
way. It also keeps search path variables tidy by preventing duplicating
Guix Home initialization at the system and user level.

WDYT?

Thanks!

PS: maybe not so useful if/when the Codeberg migration happens, but
‘(guix) Multiple Patches’ documents handy workarounds for Debbugs’s rather
subpar handling of patch series.

—Liam

[[bug#76082] [PATCH 0/9]
Improve profile initialization on foreign distros plus misc
improvements] <https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]/>

[[bug#76082] [PATCH 4/9] guix-install.sh: Remove
system-level Guix Home initialization.] <https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]/>