Subject: bug#77520: 30.1.50; Installed emacs is loading loadup.el from source

From: Lynn Winebarger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2025 15:24:31 -0400

On Fri, Apr 4, 2025 at 3:34 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > From: Lynn Winebarger <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2025 21:28:05 -0400
> >
> > When I run './src/emacs-30.1.50 -Q' from the build directory, I get the
> > expected behavior.  I install the built emacs using "make install" into
> > /usr/local with some version-specific directories configured (see the
> > options) so I can have multiple major versions of emacs installed.  When
> > I run '/usr/local/bin/emacs-30.1.50 -Q', the following is displayed in
> > the terminal window:
> > ------
> > Loading loadup.el (source)...
> > Dump mode: nil
>
> This means Emacs cannot find its pdumper file.  You need to figure out
> why.  Crystal ball says you used some non-standard procedure for
> installing the built Emacs, so the pdumper file is either not
> installed or is installed under the name different from what EMacs
> looks for.

Other than specifying version-specific paths in the configure (details
in bug report), I just used "make -j $(nproc)" and "sudo make
install".
I've used this approach for a while to maintain separate lisp
libraries and documentation while installing multiple versions of
emacs. (newlines added to shell output for visual clarity).

----------------------
owinebar@dev1:~/projects/emacs/emacs-30> ls /usr/local/bin/emacs*
/usr/local/bin/emacs        /usr/local/bin/emacs-28.3
/usr/local/bin/emacs-29.3.50  /usr/local/bin/emacs-30.1.50
/usr/local/bin/emacsclient  /usr/local/bin/emacs-29.0.91
/usr/local/bin/emacs-30.0.50

owinebar@dev1:~/projects/emacs/emacs-30> ls /usr/local/lib/emacs/
28.3/    29.0.91/ 29.3.50/ 30.0.50/ 30.1.50/

owinebar@dev1:~/projects/emacs/emacs-30> ls /usr/local/lib/emacs/30.1.50/
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

owinebar@dev1:~/projects/emacs/emacs-30> ls
/usr/local/lib/emacs/30.1.50/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/
emacs-915e4e5cb8d283f00a79086d479910f292af5fe7b2430c3eaae2631e73dab0d7.pdmp
 hexl      rcs2log
emacs-d016b46c0511d7b5a01304258481021fb366397c719be76601044696239ac9cf.pdmp
 movemail  update-game-score

owinebar@dev1:~/projects/emacs/emacs-30> /usr/local/bin/emacs-30.1.50
--fingerprint
Not initialized

owinebar@dev1:~/projects/emacs/emacs-30> ./BUILD/src/emacs-30.1.50.1
--fingerprint
d016b46c0511d7b5a01304258481021fb366397c719be76601044696239ac9cf
----------------------
For comparison, I tried a previously installed copy of 30.0.50:
----------------------
owinebar@dev1:~/projects/emacs/emacs-30> ls
/usr/local/lib/emacs/30.0.50/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/
emacs-4c6b60663e1157be3085c73f1e2ac7187bc745455a7531f00d78a41d2fd1dbbd.pdmp
 emacs-bc4b7834c0e05bc2b531ab001a62a6546f5bde655069f59b363e75b428b1dde6.pdmp
 update-game-score
emacs-104460d468e0a372d127c340258407e60ce36cf166d4e182cfe9f46f70c6f5f9.pdmp
 hexl
emacs-a93e06357fd60c362c6a3db9e95355a96eb59830d567f7d01bb22c4ffb81bcad.pdmp
 rcs2log

owinebar@dev1:~/projects/emacs/emacs-30> /usr/local/bin/emacs-30.0.50
--fingerprint
104460d468e0a372d127c340258407e60ce36cf166d4e182cfe9f46f70c6f5f9
----------------------

Lynn